View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 PM
fuzzybabybunny
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

fuzzybabybunny is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Need an unlocked / world phone recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
CDMA does not use sim cards at all, we use ESN numbers that are reprogrammed into the phone. There are CDMA networks aroudn the worldwith something I think called RUIM cards similar to SIM but we don't use that in the US.

As for AT&T question..if you plan to get an international phone you gotta make sure its Quad-Band 3G..otherwise your gonna get stuck on EDGE.

I know what you mean, I like keyboard phones too...verizon has some world phones with keyboards...but can't help much on price factor.

The Sprint Motorola XPRT world phone is blackberry style keyboard but I am sure thats not what you want..it has no 4G either...

yes it will have to be a GSM phone..as for unlocking, it depends on the phone...
Sorry for all these stupid questions. As you can tell, I'm sorely confused on this phone issue.

So to sum up (let me know if I'm correct)

1. If you have a CDMA phone, each phone has an ESN number. If a CDMA carrier does not have that ESN number in their system, there is no way in hell that you can use that CDMA phone on their system. In effect, there is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. All CDMA phones are tied to the carrier, and vice versa. No way to ask the carrier to add your ESN to their system so you can keep your phone and use their service?

2. Quad Band 3G - how do I tell?

Wireless Radio:
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
UMTS 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 MHz

The GSM has 4 frequencies, so I assume it's quad band and can use 3G. What's the UMTS then?

3. Even if I were to get a Verizon world phone with a keyboard, I'd be absolutely stuck using it on Verizon, huh? I'd have to ditch my cheaper Sprint service and go with Verizon. No way to use it on Sprint due to not having the ESN in their system?

4. Yeah, not a fan of Blackberry style keyboards

5. What's the purpose on an unlocked GSM phone? Aren't all GSM phones unlocked? Just swap in a different SIM card from XYZ carrier and you can use that phone on that carrier?

6. Carriers:

Compatible Carrier & Service: AT&T, AT&T 3G, T-Mobile, T-Mobile 3G, Rogers, Fido

I've never heard of Rogers and Fido - how prevalent are they?
If I had to choose between AT&T 3G and T-Mobile 3G compatibility, which one is more prevalent internationally? I'm going to take a wild guess and say AT&T.