View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
gTen
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Need an unlocked / world phone recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
Doh. So I can't buy just any unlocked phone and expect it to work on Sprint? Is that because Sprint doesn't use SIM cards? So if I had a GSM-based provider like AT&T, I can buy any kind of GSM phone and just get an AT&T SIM card and be ok?
CDMA does not use sim cards at all, we use ESN numbers that are reprogrammed into the phone. There are CDMA networks aroudn the worldwith something I think called RUIM cards similar to SIM but we don't use that in the US.

As for AT&T question..if you plan to get an international phone you gotta make sure its Quad-Band 3G..otherwise your gonna get stuck on EDGE.

Quote:
Dammit dammit dammit. The only two providers I'm willing to consider in the US based on coverage and service quality is Verizon and Sprint, both CDMA, and Verizon is too expensive. So I'm stuck with the 2 world phones from Sprint, neither of which I'm not too keen on using full time in the USA because they don't have slider keyboards, and I type a LOT.
I know what you mean, I like keyboard phones too...verizon has some world phones with keyboards...but can't help much on price factor.

The Sprint Motorola XPRT world phone is blackberry style keyboard but I am sure thats not what you want..it has no 4G either...

Quote:
But that leaves just getting a second phone for those times when I'm overseas, so that second phone should be a GSM phone, right? Would it absolutely need to be an unlocked GSM phone to use it in other countries?
yes it will have to be a GSM phone..as for unlocking, it depends on the phone...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.