View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
GoodThings2Life
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: What part of WP7 do you guys like? Sell me on WP7 :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
The only things I use for my phone on a regular basis is using it as a phone/gps/calender/alarm/ap news (or some other news app)/weather by gps. Outside of those 6 things, I just like playing with apps but not enough to keep them.

So I'd need a offline gps (I bought the garmin sd card but eric said WM apps wont run in WP7) and I don't know if WP7 has a offline gps......

I like the calendar of WM and WP7 seems to have similar design so I got no problems here.

I couldn't find any weather info for WP7 though......

I use g-alarm for my alarm clock and would like something with same functions in WP7

Ap News I'm not concerned with, WP7 is bound to have some news app or another

Anyhow aside from those few things, weather/gps/alarm I really dont use my phone for much else. The android port fills my need for apps to play with......

edit: the cloud storage I use dropbox/sugarsync on my tp2 so I get the same as if it had windows skydrive. I remember a app for WM for it somewhere but never found it and stuck with dropbox
OK, here's my perspective, and I hope it makes sense for you...

1. GPS -- Garmin has an official GPS application for $30 that allows "smart" offline storage (meaning it will store maps for your routes/locations + surrounding areas). It's a very fast, accurate application with great reviews (including one from myself). Maps are downloaded on demand, so they're always up-to-date.

2. Calendar -- Yeah, from what you're saying I'd totally agree with you. WP7 also synchronizes Tasks from both Windows Live and Exchange, if that matters to you.

3. Weather -- I use Weather Live! which includes GPS-based location updates, and its Live Tile updates as frequently as an hour or as infrequently as once a day. I think it was like $2 for the ad-free version.

4. Alarms -- I've never used G-Alarm, but WP7 has a built-in alarm function that I've been using for my alarm for the past 6 months without missing a beat. Can you elaborate on the specific requirements?

5. News -- There are multiple news aggregators, so again, no problem there.

6. Apps -- I don't feel you'll have any trouble finding plenty of apps to play with and most have a "trial" mode that allows you to "buy" much more easily than what I've seen on Android.

7. Storage -- SkyDrive support is really nice for photo/video/document synchronization, but there are a few different Dropbox apps as well (no official one, but a few of the ones that are on marketplace have good reviews). I do, however, discourage the use of Dropbox due to very serious privacy concerns they've had in recent months and have failed to address. You can read about those here.

As for the ultimate question of why is Windows Phone 7 for you... I can't put it any simpler than the way Engadget described the experience:
"Aesthetically speaking, we sometimes think of Android as a house that you build yourself: the base materials are relatively neutral, but there's plenty of scope for personalization in the way you fit them together. Meanwhile, iOS is like somebody else's house, built by a super-creative person with strong opinions who really doesn't care if you love it or hate it. So what about Windows Phone? Well, it too feels like a house built by somebody else -- but this time it's the handiwork of someone who's primary goal is to make you happy."