View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Amarelle
Lurker

Amarelle is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post I have no idea what he did but my fiance bricked my brother's phone after rooting it.

Okay, so I know this is a site for PPC geeks, that being the name of the site and all but I am probably as much as a n00b when it comes to this stuff as you'll ever meet.

The story goes a little like this, my fiance loves rooting phones. It's pretty much his favorite thing to do in the world because he loves all of the different options you get when you have root access. So my brother, his best friend, asked him to root his phone a Droid X. My fiance did warn him that rooting a Droid x can be quite difficult and that there is a possibility that the phone may become bricked if something ends up going wrong. As Murphy's Law would have it something went wrong somewhere in the process, but I am not sure if it happened after Cyanogen Mod was put on the phone or after they tried to update it, if they tried to update it, again I'm not sure. When I next looked at the phone it was stuck in a boot loop, and then after about 10 minutes of boot looping my brother attempted to go into the boot manager thingy and this bricked his phone. (I'm thinking because the battery died, but I know nothing about these things).

I then had to leave for work and from what I'm told they swapped the dead battery from the phone with a charged one from my fiance's phone, which also happens to be a Droid X. They spent the next 8 hours or so doing a bunch of techy stuff attempting to fix it and killed that battery as well and then gave up.

Two days ago, out of guilt I assume, my fiance gave my brother his working rooted droid X and transferred his phone number to his original droid (which he keeps around for when other peoples phones break). He's being a man about it and not complaining at all about going back to his original droid, but now we have a bricked Droid X, and I have an overnight job that gives me hours of spare time I'm trying to use to fix it... and possibly rub it in his face. My thinking is that I couldn't possibly break it more than it is already broken.

For the last 2 hours I have had it plugged into my work computer hoping this will charge the battery, but it's not. The green light is on, and every now and then it will go through a few boot loops and then go back to the black screen.

My main question is, now that you lovely patient people have read my book of how I got to this situation, if I get the battery charged by swapping it into the working Droid X is there any hope that I can resurrect this thing from paperweight-dom? I'm willing to try anything and won't get frustrated if the responses end up wasting my time since that is the goal in the first place with the ultimate hope that I get this phone back up and running.

Last edited by Amarelle; 12-01-2011 at 06:27 AM.