View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
pizzaboy192
PPCGeeks Regular

pizzaboy192 is keeping up the good workpizzaboy192 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pizzaboy192 Send a message via MSN to pizzaboy192 Send a message via Skype™ to pizzaboy192
Re: NEW LG Fathom Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysomeothertime View Post
Pizzaboy192, which US server are you using?

What are the cold start times with/without QuickGPS?

Also did you find that you get a significant battery life decrease when you keep GPS on at all times?

Thanks!
Cold start for full phone boot or just GPS lock?
Full boot hasn't changed. You have to tell quickGPS to download a file each time.
Lock times:
Without: 5-6Minutes if it ever does.
With: 15 seconds - 2 minutes. Guaranteed lock if you've got decent cell coverage (not being in a building\basement)

the version of QuickGPS Lite (notice the Lite part) means that I tell it to download the file whenever I want, not at boot. In settings, it has the server pre-defined for the file. I just clicked the US radio button and hit apply.

I have been able to successfully run the phone for a full day in town (from 9AM to 5PM) with a GPS lock and didn't notice too much of a difference between that and a normal day of use for me in class (7AM to 3PM)
If I'm using an application that is written poorly and keeps the screen on while locked, there is noticeable drain from using the display. You can get about 10 hours of locked GPS with time to spare.

I haven't turned off the "Location On" setting on my phone since I got it. I can go about 18 hours on a charge easily. (7AM to 12AM usually, sometimes up to 2AM). Battery drains faster with a GPS lock, but it won't even try to lock until an application requests it. I also keep bluetooth on as well. No difference between this semester and last semester when I kept bluetooth off (got a headset this summer, hence the change)
I have noticed an increase between battery life between V7 and V5. V5 ROM gives me a good 2+ hours of extra life over the V7 rom (various reasons, less RAM used, no GPRS Attach issues.)
V5 rom also seems more stable. I haven't had to soft-reset my phone in over a week. V7 was about once a day from some random crash. I haven't done a pure restart yet, as I restored from a V7 backup. It could be even better if I start from scratch (but that requires time)

Hope some of that helps.
This post has been thanked 1 times.