View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 03:49 PM
mikewest
Regular 'Geeker

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Use Sprint HTC EVO 4G in other Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
"It always intrigues me how people come into this situation, where they "bought" a Sprint Phone and want to activate it on another network. Why not buy a device from that network? "

let me list thy ways my friend.

I want to use an EVO on boost. boost does not sell the evo or I would have just bought one.

I want to use an EVO on sprint. Sprint does not sell the evo for sprint they only sell the evo for newer sprint $90 a month or higher ($70 everything plan $10 4g plan (I don't even want 4g) and $10 smart phone plan.)

all for a plan with EXACTLY the same settings and features as my current plan. the ONLY difference is more than double almost triple the price tag for NOTHING.

SO there you go. 2 clear easy simple reasons why someone would want to "put" an evo "they got" onto their carrier plan.

all without doing anything illegal or questionable (yet)

I understand we can't discuss esn repair here (and I agree that is NOT a topic for this forum)

but this statement

"It always intrigues me how people come into this situation, where they "bought" a Sprint Phone and want to activate it on another network. Why not buy a device from that network? "

DIRECTLY implies malfeasance or "evil intent" on the part of the requester for NO GOOD OR VALID REASON AT ALL.

the carrier should have NO SAY on what hardware I buy and use so long as that hardware does not harm the network or use services outside of what my plan already allows.

android handsets use LESS DATA for a heavy user than my WM handset. the reason is insanely simple as to why. PUSH. push means I don't need apps constantly going out and check connection and downloading bytes. the data comes to me when its ready.

that and the programs are mobile OPTIMIZED ie sleeker smaller data foot print.

my data usage went DOWN over a GB per month since switching to Android on my TP2.

there is one reason and one reason ONLY that the carrier wants this control. to force you to pay more money for PRECISELY the same exact service.

now if you want to have them SPONSOR your upgrade (IE subsidize your purchase)

OK I have no problem with the carrier settings these terms.

but when I purchase the hardware OUTRIGHT the carrier (sprint in this case) should have NO SAY AT ALL.
I did not mean to offend anybody with my thoughts. I have seen in forums over the years, where people have directly implied that the "phone" they are repairing was either "found" or flagged as being reported "lost or stolen" to the carrier. I see many people on eBay selling brand new phones with bad ESNs. (I would also like to know why there are so many NIB phones with bad ESNs.)

I do understand the whole point about Sprint charging more for using the EVO 4G, and I suppose that is an easy way to bypass the Premium Device Fee (or as I call it the Extortion Fee).

I suppose that there are people who purchase an EVO 4G for activating it on Boost or other 3rd party. I wonder how many of those people bought an ESN that is clean and clear at full retail, non-subsidized prices.

I can even understand how one would likely choose the one with a bad ESN, as they do not need the ESN anyway, since it is no valid on their 3rd party carrier.

This leads to my original thought and concern, as to why the ESN is bad to begin with.

About eight years ago, I did an ESN repair on a Sanyo 5500, so it thought it was a Sanyo 5600. The original Sanyo 5500 and the 5600 had clean ESN's (they still do.) I only "repaired" the 5500 to keep turned off in my glove box, in case I lost, forgot, etc... my 5600 at home.

None of this changes the fact that it is technically illegal, regardless of why you are doing it. I also understand, that when the law was made, that the intent was not the same. I believe the original intent was to prevent someone from "repairing" their phone with the ESN of someone else's phone with the intent to avoid paying for services. I may be wrong, but I don't think that this is common anymore.

If I did offend you, I apologize.