View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM
WeAreNotAlone
Lurker

WeAreNotAlone is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Updating LG Fathom firmware will lock it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamodein View Post
Hi,

~snip~

I have a unlocked LG Fathom which I am using with TATA GSM Docomo network in India. Its firmware is V4. My Questions:

1. If I update it the firmware to V7, will it lock the phone again and I will not be able to use any GSM Sim?
On some VS750's purchased thru Amazon.com USA about a month ago (They appear to be coming from the same company that supplies phones to TigerDirect.com /CompUSA.com , Seller UnlockedCellPhoneKings on Ebay USA site) the phones arrived:

A: With a VodaPhone Verizon GSM SIM CHIP installed in the SIM CHIP SLOT.
B: In a UNLOCKED state- VS750 accepted T-Mobile sim no problem.
C: With firmware V4.

Flashed the phone with V5, later with V7 and it did NOT re-lock the phone. VS750 recognizes the T-Mobile USA SIM CHIP after flashing.

Quote:
2. Now in V4, GSM works fine, but when I select CDMA mode and put Reliance CDMA sim, it goes kind of hang and does not respond, no network. Why its so?

3. Without any sim it shows reliance CDMA network in roaming mode, but could not program using *228 and Handset Transfer Card. Any Solution?

4. If by chance I am able to program it on Reliance CDMA (without SIM) using *228 and Handset Transfer Card, will I be able to use GSM sim also in it?

Thanks in advance!!!
The VS750 I believe was for the US market ONLY.
With the phone being sold thru VERIZON USA I would think more likely than not the phone has hard coded into the EPROM itself that it will:
A: Show you are in roam mode on any other carrier.
B: More than likely NOT allow you to program the phone for any other carrier other than VERIZON. The CDMA part of the phone is more than likley permanently locked to VERIZON.

(On the GSM SIM CHIP SLOT - I would think that slot is GSM ONLY due to the above.)

The GSM SIM SLOT's purpose is to allow the phone to be used as a GSM PHONE in the areas VERIZON doesn't service (EG: via VodaPhone while traveling in Europe.)

So far as the VS750 Fathom's SIM CHIP SLOT as sold originally thru VERIZON only accepting a VodaPhone SIM chip, I think that would have probably have been the as-shipped, originally marketed configuration. As shipped I woud think the VS750 was LOCKED to only take the VodaPhone sim - Verizon and Vodaphone most likely having agreements as such.

The term "UNLOCKED" refers to the SIM LOCK being removed so SIM chips other than VodaPhone will function.

Firmware notes.
V4
V5= Adds Mobile OFFICE 2010
V7=Adds what appears to be a OEM lite version of SPB SHELL giving you Android type screens.

Problem with V7 is that on incoming (GSM) calls is that when you try to MUTE the ringer via the vol up/down button is the muting function crashes saying:

"No enough memory, close some applications"

Net result is the ringer continues to ring, ring, ring.

Best option is to flash to V5 (unless you have to have some function V7 offers)... and then add SP SHELL v3.5.3. The full version of SPB SHELL unlike the watered down version in V7 of the firmware flash offers a much nicer set of configuration options and choices than the water down version that V7 of the firmware does.

PS: POST BACK YOUR FINDINGS- In as much detail as possible.
(Post info you'd like to see if you were needing the answer to a problem.. Don't just post back.."Yea I fixed it"... Post back in detail what you had to do to fix a problem..In a step by step format.

Imagine you had a time machine and were just now searching for the answers YOU desire- and someone had posted the info YOU were looking for.. in detail)