View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM
mikewest
Regular 'Geeker

mikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good workmikewest is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Use Sprint HTC EVO 4G in other Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aids82 View Post
Hi All,
Happened that I have bought Sprint hTC evo 4G. I live not in the USA and want to use the phone in our local carrier. So the question is how can I unlock it?
I have read much of information on this forum also but it is still not clear for me what exactly should I do with the phone. There are a lot of actions described like:
1. get root access
2. unlock nand protection and so on

But which actions are required for me?

Moreover these actions are different for different versions of hboot and software.
I have a following configuration:
hboot: v2.10
hardware: 0004
software: 2.2

Help me please, explain what I have to do? Will appreciate if you give me links to instructions for my versions.

Thanks in advance, Alex
You will need to be rooted as you already said in your list of items.
Based on the information you provided, you should root with unrevoked. This will give you root access and unlock hand.

You will need your MSL, which can be obtained after you acquire root. After you acquire root, connect your device via wifi to the android market and download MSL READER by ESCcode, run the app and you will have your MSL.

Some call this code a SPC (Service Programming Code), MSL (Master Subsidy Lock), or Sprint ofter just refers to it as a "six-digit code" (this is to the fact that it is infact a six-digit code.) Do not bother asking others for their MSL because there is only a 1 in 1,000,000 chance that they have the same code as you.

As far as getting it to work on a non-us carrier, it is up to the non-us carrier as to whether or not you will be allowed to activate a Sprint ESN number.

Depending on what country you are in, this may be a common endeavor. If so, your local corner cell shop should be able to offer guidance, however possibly for a fee.

It is however likely that you may be required to do an "ESN Repair," for which we can not offer guidance on this forum. Your best bet for that, is again one of your local cell phone shops.

It always intrigues me how people come into this situation, where they "bought" a Sprint Phone and want to activate it on another network. Why not buy a device from that network?