View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 AM
gTen
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Why did you choose W7 over Android ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
I just read a small snippet in my Email from PCMag that there is speculation that the new Google/Motorola merger might also be a boon for Windows Phone. They stated(paraphrased) that in doing this merger, Google has basically thumbed their nose at all the other equipment manufacturers. Where there may be many more Motorola manufactured Droids out there, many of the others manufacturers might look more to MS for their markets.

Here's the article:
Google's Motorola Deal Closes a Door, Opens for Windows | Mark Hachman | PCMag.com
It may have happened as a case before, but now that M$ is giving preference to Nokia(and rumors of a buyout) I find it unlikely. That article has been circulating for a while but Google will not give anything major to Motorola because they don't make any money off sales of Android devices..they make more profit off their adsense and would be silly for them to prioritize motorola with lower profit margins.

Google favoring Motorola would be equivalent to favoring a person that gives you 5$ a month over the guy who pays your salary.

Right now, since HP gave up on building hardware they are probably the only OS that is not bound by a hardware manufacturer. If the WebOs firesale gets people interested in WebOs devices it may lead some manufacturers trying it out. Alternatively I have seen signs that manufacturers(with big patent portfolio) may attempt to fork android.

Here is my take on the major partners:

HTC - may go WebOs or may go WP7 (if they let them put their own sense ui)
Huwaii - Will stay android, may experiment with meego(simply cause they are based in china)
LG - They mentioned earlier indication of trying MeeGo
Samsung - Considering they have their Bada platform I don't see them jumping ship, they are likely to fork Android after Google denied them use of Skyhook.
ZTE - Will stay android, may experiment with meego(simply cause they are based in china)

The only ones that can swing either way are the ones with the least marketshare..mostly the ASUS and the Japanse companies such as Sony, Panasonic, Kyocerra, Sanyo, Fujitsu, mitsubishi, sharp.

But then again they do not have much marketshare to begin with so I don't think jumping ship makes sense unless M$ gives them some sort of a deal that benefits them.

Edit: Just noticed this on Engadget and as I said LG and Samsung are either going to fork android or go with another open source os..so wp7 as the primary os out of the question:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/23/s...s-knife-fight/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 08-24-2011 at 04:06 AM.