Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Pirs01
Lurker

Pirs01 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Selection of machines supporting USB

Hello,

I was employed to develop an application for Android that will use some external devices via USB. I am also responsible for choosing a machine that will be shipped with the software on it as ready to go product.

I have no experience with PPC, Smartphones, Palmtops or whatever the right name is for what I'm looking for, nor with Android OS.

My question is: How do I go about compiling a list of machines that support USB devices? Has to be Android 3.1 (API level 12) or Android 2.3.4 (API level 10) with "an add-on library to support a broader range of devices" according to spec: USB Host and Accessory | Android Developers
I don't care if specific machine has to be updated with newer OS version or the add-on Lib, I just need to know that it allows me to do so.

I would imagine that I should filter devices by CPU they are using?
Is it possible that specific PPC supports required Android version and has USB socket but won't allow me to program custom device support via USB?

I don't really care what kind of machine it is as long as it satisfies the requirements and is cheap.

Thanks.

P.S.
I've just noticed there is Android Development root. Admins please do sort this out.

P.P.S.
Just noticed in documentation that 2.3.4 is not sufficient for what I'm trying to do so only 3.1 and higher will do.

Last edited by Pirs01; 08-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.