View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
highlandsun
PPCGeeks Regular

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] **Complete FroYo Bundle** FRX07!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Happens to me all the damned time. Such is life in the world of Android on our devices currently... Sometimes I've had the phone wake up immediately and be right on the answer call screen... other times the Phone.apk application just decides it doesn't feel like working properly - it'll ring & vibrate no problem but I won't see the answer call screen come up even close to 'in time' to answer. I don't know why the drastic differences, but when in the UI sometimes it's really snappy, other times it seems to just sit there and hang... thinking...

I'm wondering if it's just background processes running and this tired old phone's processor can't handle all the crap going on in the background... I'm pretty sure there's some metrics within the Android system to tell Android when to start freeing up memory - I don't know if our port has that set to a default value, or if it's been tweaked but perhaps we should try to tweak it further..

Someone suggested the above to me, and it seems like a great idea, just so long as you don't set the values so ridiculous that it just starts killing stuff that it shouldn't. I can't remember where the settings are tho, d'oh.
The low-memory killer settings are setup in /init.rc. They definitely need to be tuned. I'm hearing that the G1 guys have finally got these well-tuned on their GB builds, it's absolutely crucial given the tiny RAM there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.