View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
teradog
VIP Member - Retired

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
USB tether works (XP), Network it! HOW TO + USB tether HELP

shame on me, starting 2 new threads in one day Waken up this boring forum!!!
USB Tether help: See post 2.

If you read this post/thread, Dream Phone mini guide, 1/2 way down, you'll see "HOME NETWORK": It details how to setup a home network off your TP2, benefits being many... including multi floor signal strength, distance, less TP2 CPU burden, ethernet ports etc..

Issue: it was limited to wifi only on the WAN side... Now with Droid USB, we can do it via USB.

Summary: You use HTC wifi router to a wifi NIC in your PC/Laptop, enable the ethernet connection & plug in a cat5/6 series cable, to your router (G/N) Linksys, etc.., enable ics by going into properties, advanced, click "share internet connection", this will then enable the enet 2nd NIC with 192.168.0.x subnet.

Issue: Windows ICS (internet connection sharing) must use 192.168.0.x for the 2nd NIC (network interface card). Windows Mobile HTC USB Tether also only uses 192.168.0.x, so you've got an IP conflict as you can't use the same subnet on the same PC (obvious routing issue). It doesn't work. Leaving you with wifi only...

Disclaimer: ** This article assumes you have a Phone As Modem (PAM) plan that you pay for with your carrier &/or a "wifi hotspot" add on / included in your current plan, simply everything, etc..
** However: Those plans are not required for this to work, BUT, you could ring up some extra charges on your bill if not... exactly as you may using wifi router on the windows side. (so if that's not an issue...)

Solution: XDAndroid USB tether however, uses 192.168.42.x subnet & doesn't conflict with the required ICS subnet of 192.168.0.x.

What does that mean to me? hehehe... if somehow your HTC wifi router gets shut down by your carrier or HTC or Windows, or your wifi card dies, etc.. etc.. We now have a 2nd option.

Win XP:
  • DL all the latest stuff in the XDandroid.com side or read through my "Simple Guide.." sticky... ,
  • boot up Android,
  • turn off USB test mode: (Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging)
  • DL tetherxp.inf (link later, in help in droid when starting usb tether)
  • plug into ICS machine you'll use on the xtranet side of your router,
  • in droid settings enable USB tether
  • on the windows ICS box, enable shared internet under the NIC "properties, advanced"
  • wala.... your router can now be setup to do subnets under anything you want... (i use a 10.x.x.x intranet), it has ethernet ports for wii, playstations, etc.. & plenty of wifi to go around.
  • make sure you setup your TP2 per the other thread, correctly, using field trial...

Win7: Will update later with my Win 7 process.

gotta run, will clean up later & add more stuff...

Last edited by teradog; 07-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.