View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Perasite
Retired Staff

Perasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIPPerasite is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[Tutorial] New device setup (CWM, ROM, Kernel, Netflix)

So, PPCGeeks is awesome and sent me a brand new gTablet for free. That made me pretty happy, so I decided to give something back. None of this information is my own work. I take no credit for any of it. I am just pulling instructions together in one (hopefully) easy to digest place so that others can get their new device setup how they like.

A word on NVFLASH:
I've read a lot about how important NVFLASH is, and I don't doubt that those people are correct. Because I use Mac's, though, and there seems to only be Windows and Linux versions of the program, I did everything possible to not have to use it. I managed to get my device totally setup without it, so this tutorial will not make use of NVFLASH.

I'm going to break this down into several posts, with each post being another step. Just click the link to go directly to the post (or scroll down)

Step 1: Determine your bootloader version
My device was version 1.1, and I can only base this tutorial on my own experience. I will, though, give whatever info on 1.2 based ROMs when I can.

Step 2: ClockWorkMod
This is a replacement recovery system that allows you to install ROMs, kernels and more.

Step 3: Repartition
Apparently Viewsonic partitioned the internal drive in a manner that Android doesn't like, and you'll have problems if you don't repartition it to the way Android likes to see it. You should only have to do this once, not every time you install a ROM

Step 4: Choose and install a ROM
I chose CyanogenMod version 7, so this tutorial will assume that is what you are installing. I chose this because it is a 1.1 based ROM, has a proven track record of being stable, and was confirmed to work with Netflix which was important to me.

Step 5: vold.fstab
vold.what???? CM7 sets a weird name for the internal SD card, which prevents you from mounting it when you connect your gTab to your computer to view and transfer files. This step will fix that problem. This step should not be needed if you are using a different ROM.

Step 6: Kernel
The Kernel tells the hardware how to operate, so to speak. Trust me, you want to do this.

Step 7: Setting up the Android Market
If you've installed a custom ROM then they've already fixed the Market. If your are still on a Stock ROM or if your Market becomes fubar'd, this should get you access.

Step 8: Netflix and Flash
Stream movies on your gTab.

Projects: (PeraStats 1.7) (PeraCount with Clock 1.3) (PeraCount 1.3) (PeraProfiler 1.2) (S2U2Lock 1.1)

Last edited by Perasite; 06-17-2011 at 11:22 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.