View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
jimmyjohn
Lurker

jimmyjohn is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transferring SERO-Style Plan From TP2 To Epic

I'm using a SERO-style plan with an Epic 4G, and I don't feel guilty about it.

I know a lot of people here make a big deal about the allegedly "illegal" nature of ESN/IMEI porting, but crossing a couple of minor FCC regulations is really no great matter. There are tons of things in the small details of contracts and regulations that all of us cross all of the time without a second thought, and I don't think this should be any different. The real danger of ESN/IMEI porting is in stealing phones, not using items you already own in ways you see fit.

Almost everyone here violates agreements with Sprint by unlocking phones, and installing unauthorized software. Does anyone here actually *pay* to tether?

According to Sprint's network, I'm using my SERO-style legacy plan, and that plan has rules for how much voice, text, and data I'm allowed to use. I don't really use all that much of any of it (even when using XDAndroid on my TP2, I was at noticeably less than 500MB/month on my unlimited 3G plan), and if Sprint decides I'm using too much data for my contract, they'll rip it up anyway, regardless of what phone I'm using, whether it's fair, or whether it's legal.

Sprint's not a victim of our cheap SERO or legacy plans. Sprint's a large corporation with far more money in rounding errors than most of us will see in our lifetimes. They hold all the chips when it comes to invalidating our contracts, or charging extra for allegedly "unlimited" data.

In using an Epic on a plan meant for a Touch Pro 2, I'm not causing Sprint any harm, or loss. When they changed the rules regarding what devices were allowed on our plans, they weren't playing fair. They were taking our longstanding agreements and saying we had to change.

Well, now I've hacked an Epic to make it look like a TP2 to Sprint's network. That's my move when they change the rules, and I have no moral, ethical, or legal qualms about it.