Thread: Iphone's value
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 AM
schettj
morsus mihi

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Iphone's value

Quote:
Originally Posted by masetas View Post
Since many sites are reporting that the Iphone will be available soon on Tmobile/Sprint and its already available on Verizon and ATT. I know thats great for the people that like the iphone cause it gives them options on carrier and rate plans but does it loose value in your eyes.
I don't understand your question.

All existing US iPhones are carrier locked to AT&T or VZ. The value of those is unchanged, since they're still locked and will always be locked to their carriers.

Future CDMA iPhones will be carrier locked to their carriers, because that's the only way VZ or Sprint will sell a phone.

Future GSM iPhones may be sold in unlocked version, but it's unclear if they will be. Traditionally fully carrier unlocked phones are sold at full list, without discount. Or a carrier will unlock a phone after 3 months. AT&T has not done that will iPhones up to now, but may in the future. Then again, AT&T will soon swallow up TMo, making this point moot again, and leading back to a single GSM carrier for iPhone, so I expect it will remain carrier locked even on the GSM side in the US.

The iPhone is priced exactly the same as any other high end smartphone, so the iP4++ (whatever the next one is) will likely be priced exactly the same as the current iP4, with the iP4 dropping down to roughly half its current price. Just like last year, and the year before.

So, nothing has changed it seems.