PPCGeeks Regular

chardog is keeping up the good workchardog is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tablet/Nook Color VS Laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Not even close, no.

Not unless you don't do much of anything on your laptop. Or you have all the time in the world.

Buy a $400 laptop that is 10 times more functional than any tablet you can buy from anyone today.

Get a laptop under 5 lbs. Core i3 or better, 4gb ram or better, 320GB or better disk.

When you can afford to throw away $300-$500, get a tablet to use when you can't be bothered to boot your laptop.

But replace a laptop? No. Not even a netbook can do that. A Macbook Air or whatever clone ripoff with windows you can find - THAT can replace a laptop, but even then the cost for shedding those last couple pounds doesn't justify it. Unless you have money to burn, or your company is buying.
a tablet can definitely hold it's own against a laptop/netbook, but definitely NOT a replacement. If you have one desktop/laptop at home, the tablet is an accessory, rather than another laptop. I take my nook around and I've been astounded by it's functionality.

- Email/contacts/calenders
- web browsing
- web videos
- light gaming
- view/edit docs
- sync files to main desktop

those are pretty basic, but here's where the tablet shines

- ultra portability, carry and read sites with one hand, fits in a big back pocket or backpack without lugging around a charger. When I bring this to a starbucks, mcdonalds, or wherever, I dont worry about it running out of juice or look for outlets.
- instant startup
- easily start up a fileserver for sharing stuff
- ultra battery life

I still have my i7 laptop for the times I need to develop pictures or edit videos, but I never lug that thing around, unless it's for work.