View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
schettj
morsus mihi

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Extend Battery Life on ACER A500 ***ROOT REQUIRED***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapaz04 View Post
Alright, Ive done as asked... Here is the results...

STOCK -
IDLE - 4mA
Peak Stress Test - 77mA

CUSTOM
IDLE - 2mA
Peak Stress Test - 16mA

***NOTE: The first time I ran the stress test under the CUSTOM way, it reported a peak of 150mA but the test ran waaayy too fast compared to the STOCK test so I rebooted the Tablet and this was the test after reboot.***

You be the judge of weather or not it lowers battery consumption. I think we need more than one tablet to test this 100%. I have restored my tablet to factory and tried this... Anyone else care to give it a shot? Due to the difference in testing speed I dont want to make full assumptions but it does look like its working people. Please let me know if it works for you!!! jejeje
Er... SetCPU/Info...

Tap Stress Test.

It will run UNTIL you hit the back button. It never stops. So, there's your problem. You actually want it to run full out for 5 minutes, then press the back button to stop it. For me, that pumps my 1.4Ghz overclocked tegra2 to 100% on both cores, and draws 515mA. You'll only see that if you let it run for 5 minutes, and only if you've changed the reporting/monitoring times in batterywatcher to 60 seconds.

For the idle test, set your screen timeout for more than 5 minutes. WE DON'T want the screen to turn off. We just want to let it sit for 5 minutes, ON, not in deep sleep, which doesn't measure anything at all.

The result of your test is... the idle number is bogus, unfortunately, as is the peak. So, you need to try again. 2mA isn't enough to power the ram chips, let alone a cpu, lcd, and a digitizer. 16mA might keep your ram alive.

So, my guess is either you ran the tests wrong (which sure seems likely) or your device isn't remotely reporting current draw correctly.

Just to assure you there is no way in hell those numbers are possible, Acer lists the battery at 3260mAh, and they list video playback runtime at 8 hours. Or, 407.5mA draw during video playback.

I would expect your "under load" numbers to be well above what you reported. By 3X, or in the case of the 16, 30X.

So, I guess you'll have to go on "gut feel" for this hack. All it's doing is potentially reducing CPU load, there is no hardware associated with the phone apks. Furthermore, since this hack was based on noting that the phone stack hurt Froyo roms, and this is a "for tablet" Honeycomb OS, its extremely doubtful it has any effect at all.

It has no measurable effect on gingerbread roms running on G-Tablets (also tegra-2 dual core, but with half as much ram), but a slight (5%, which imho is below the noise threshold) improvement on stock Froyo roms on the Gtab.

Last edited by schettj; 05-06-2011 at 06:43 PM.