View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
orangekid
Awesomenss :)

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Newb questions... Be gentle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohan View Post
So I dropped my old school Droid and since I wasn't impressed with the Thunderbolt I upgraded to an iPhone 4. I've played with them before, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I've got some newbie questions. I did lots of searching, but wasn't able to come up with much in the way of concrete or understandable answers. 32GB iPhone 4 with 4.2.6 jailbroken with green pois0n RC6.1

What is an SHSH blob and why should I back it up? It's a unique hash for my device or something right? And pretty much so I can downgrade if I needed to?

Why are there so many VZW iPhone 4s on Ebay?

With the iPhone using iTunes does it report back to Apple if the phone is jailbroken or not? Using unofficial apps? (From Cydia for example.)

Someone had mentioned that green pois0n was detectable by Apple where redsn0w wasn't. Something to do with an iTunes authentication issue. Any info on this?

yes on the SHSH blob. You can also use it to downgrade your baseband sometimes, this is more for GSM iPhones though, since there doesn't seem to be a carrier lock on the CDMA version.

You can usually downgrade firmware just fine by putting the phone in DFU and flashing the older firmware.

I don't know that iTunes can tell Apple if you're jailbroken or not. I can research a little more but I think you're good either way. I think ultimately they know who's jailbroken and who's not, but there's no way for them to "prove it" in warranty issues if you've restored it back to stock because then they'd have to admit that they are violating your privacy. It is also legal to jailbreak your device so there's not much they can do other than patch exploits while the hackers find more.