Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Paul_Hammons
PPCGeeks Regular

Paul_Hammons is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to register/developer Unlock Windows Phone 7 for free, even NoDo

All,
Why all the fuss to Chevron Unlock or any other hack when you can just register it as a developer phone and unlock it officially for free????

Oh, maybe you all didn't know about the free part, maybe that is the piece of magic everyone is seeking...

Here is how to register your phone as a developer phone FOR FREE....

1. Get and verify a Dreamspark account. Two options here....
a. If you are a student with an email address ending in .edu just go to www.dreamspark.com, register and verify the email address.
b. If you are not a student or are not in the USA, follow the steps in this link to setup a .edu account, then register and verify the email address. The Tech Game - How to get Free Dreamspark and XNA membership

2. Create an Apphub account and link it to your Dreamspark LiveId.
a. After Dreamspark is verified, go to App Hub - home register your Windows Live ID and signup as a student. It will ask if you have a verified Dreamspark account, follow the steps to link the two accounts. (I didn't take screenshots but intuitive)

3. Populate your required profile information to the point that "My Dashboard-->My Windows Phone" does not show any more pending tasks.
a. You MUST go through the process to submit a "DummyApp" for Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows MarketPlace before Geotrust will send you the email to verify your identity. Just put "Dummyapp for id verification" in the notes sections. You will have to upload a .cab and a bunch of icons that all have to be sized properly. Just take a .png file and resize it a bunch of times and upload it. Doesn't matter what it is.
b. Geotrust will send an email requesting you to verify some info. I received it about 10 minutes after submitting my app, but could take 24 hours. I answered 4 questions, and then about 2 hours later Apphub took off the "identity verification pending" alert.
c. I also submitted my bank account info, but not sure if this was necessary.

4. Download the Windows phone developer tools from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...c-8b51b34b00ce

5. Run the Windows Phone Developer Registration tool. Sign in with Windows Live ID you registered at AppHub, connect your phone and make sure it is not screen locked, viola, Windows 7 Phone now unlocked. And you can unlock 2 other Windows 7 phones too for a total of 3 phones.

Total process took less than 24 hours due to waiting on Geotrust and MS confirm.
-Paul
This post has been thanked 3 times.