View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Mike G.
PPCGeeks Regular

Mike G. is keeping up the good workMike G. is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How To: Download mp3's from the internet

I don't know if this has been covered or not, but I recently found a way to download mp3's from the stock ie browser on unlocked wp7 devices that have TouchXplorer.

When you normally download a mp3 it will just stream, What I noticed is that if the mp3 is in a zip file, you can use Touchxplorer file manager to browse My Device/Application Data/Volatile/Zip View/ and see whatever song that was played from that zip file in the internet browser after the download finishes. All you have to do is copy and paste it from that location to My Documents/Zune/Content and pick a folder to paste the chosen file. It will not be viewable from the music and Videos app, but it will be perminantly stored on the device to play from the TouchXplorer.

I noticed this when downloading the new Pusha T mixtape from a trusted website and the songs were in a zip folder. I clicked on the zip file to display it's contents. When I clicked on one of the songs, it was totally downloaded and did not need to buffer before playing. I opened TouchXplorer and found the zip view folder in Application data/Volatile. This Volatile folder would normally be empty after a fresh boot. After downloading the zip file and opening each song inside of it that I wanted saved, the data from the zip file is cached in a folder that says Zip View. Some simple copy and paste work stored the mp3's in the Zune/Content/0100/???

The mp3's can then survive a soft reset, the just can't be viewed from the Music and Videos app. Hope this info can be useful to someone out there. I'm sure it will be.
This post has been thanked 1 times.