View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
DaveTN
Unlimited is um, limited

DaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the communityDaveTN is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TP2 Wakeup on Signal Loss Workaround

OK, I figured out something interesting today about my phone waking up when it loses and reacquires a signal. Depending on how many times a day it happens, especially if I'm in a poor signal area, it can really negatively impact my battery life. Its been a problem with all of my HTC phones in the past and is not ROM dependent (Stock or custom).

The best "fix" I could muster and keep functionality was to set my screen to turn off after 30 seconds of non-use on battery and 1 minute on wall power. It helps a little but if my phone is in my pocket and the screen picks up inputs after the phone wakes up, it may still be a while before it shuts off again.

Anyway, I was looking around in the CHT 2 settings and decided to try the "Proximity Backlight Off" setting (From Home Screen: Menu>CHT Editor>Lockscreen> Proximity Backlight off). Well guess what? If the phone wakes up and is in my pocket or holster, it immediately shuts back off.

Verified by covering the top part of the screen - try it: Put your finger or something over the top part (HTC - Earpeice - Sprint) and turn it on. Goes right back off unless you uncover it and slide to unlock. You can also do the reverse by turning it on then covering the proximity sensor and it goes back off unless you slide to unlock.

My guess is that this will also help with phones that wake up from magnetic flaps on their holsters. If I didn't put mine in correctly it would constantly wake up because the magnet was tripping the stylus sensor.

Tried this by removing my stylus and the screen comes on for a split second and then goes back off if the sensor is covered like it would be in your pocket or holster.

Anyway, give it a try and see if it helps.

David

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am currently running NRG ROM Jan 26 29007 CHT 2.0
This post has been thanked 4 times.