View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 03:26 AM
quick99si
Halfway to VIP Status

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: When a number sends you a text, how do you add them as a contact instantly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera229 View Post
I mean you know Windows viruses will function on a desktop, but not on a Mac? Will they function on Windows Mobile (are they supported). If not then are there many viruses for windows mobile?
1. Macs can and do get infected malware. The only reason that they are not discussed as frequently is because the amount of malware is small in relation to Windows. Mac represented 4-5% of all computers in the world in 2010 (on the rise). Windows, by means of various releases and SP's, is so much more common that attackers naturally target that OS with significantly higher frequency. It's the same force that makes GSM devices hit the market before their CDMA version, and the same reason that car manufacturers make so many damn trucks. Which brings me to the next point..

2. AndroidOS is so much more commonly used than Windows Mobile in mobile devices (and rising sharply!). There has been a tremendous increase in infections on devices running Android. A simply Google search for "virus android" will yield days worth of interesting reading. Don't be too concerned, however, since the rate of infections is so tiny that it isn't worth losing sleep over.

3. Neither Android devices nor WM6.x can get infected just by staying idle in your packet or receiving a text message. A piece of code needs to be executed on the device and this is typically achieved through the distribution of illegal software that has been patched to act as malware. In the case of Android, one of the ways was to include "the virus" with free apps downloaded through a an alternate market hosted in China (OpnMarket). I've also read about a developer releasing a proof of concept trojan in a fake expansion pack for Angry Birds downloadable via Google's App Market (it was quickly pulled, obviously). For Windows PC's, the preferred method these days is fooling users into visiting websites with unsecured machines/browsers.

4. Yes, WM can and has seen virus infections. They do all kinds of different things that you may or may not consider harmless, but some infections can compromise you personal data, cost you money by dialing overseas numbers, etc.. Here's a video showing how to remove one such infection called 3D Anti-Terrorist: YouTube - Testing out a new Fix for the International dialer Trojan on 3D Anti Terrorist. I presume this was released through a fake cool free game called... 3D Anti-Terrorist lol

5. If you run trusted games and applications on your device, you will be safe just as virtually all WM users on this forum have been safe since 2003. If you're a big fan of warez and you'll open any CAB file, install any custom ROM, then you may consider an Anti-Virus... but realistically, it's a a collossal waste of time IMO. I've downloaded and test countless apps/games from here and XDA, and not once did I have any issues with any sort of malware (virus isn't really a good word for this topic).

With respect to your text messaging thing, I can't tell if you posted a question or an actual tutorial. If it's a question, then I recommend skimming through the owner's manual or spending a few minutes in the OS. And for what it's worth, the WM native SMS application is preferred over HTC's by many, many members here, myself included.
This post has been thanked 1 times.