View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Nandaly
Lurker

Nandaly is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Unlock TP2 to use on GSM network in India ?

Hopefully you get this info before you make your trip to India. If you have never been before, ... have fun and be prepared for a different reality.

I have been to Mumbai (Bombay), Chennai (Madras), Bangalore, Pondicherry and Aurungabad. On my very first trip (of many) there I went to purchase a SIM for my phone. You will need to provide/leave a copy of your Passport with the cell provider, as well as provide a passport sized photo, so you may want to have some done before you go.

I choose to go with Vodafone (which may show on your phone as Hutch as being the carrier). I think it was 200Rs for SIM card with ~ equal to 100 minutes worth of talk time (outgoing local/in state calls ... free incoming ... read below).

Prepaid there is the (only) way to go. Go to any Vodafone, ask to buy a SIM card, give them your info/passport/photo and off you go. With Vodafone, local outgoing rates within the same state is 0.99Rs/min, which is about 2 to 2.5 cents US per minute. All incoming is free within the same state. Long distance back to US was equivalent to about 10 cents/minute. Now compare this to North America.

From what others seem to say about TP2 phone working, it appears as though you should just be able to put your SIM card in and it should work. The GSM side of this phone is quadband and will work in India. Call Sprint and tell them you are travelling internationally and insist that they give you SIM unlock code so that you can use the phone in India (if the phone is not already unlocked or able to work on foreign GSM networks). Otherwise buy SIM Unlock code from links in this forum. Also Vodafone in India will work everywhere.

While in Chennai, you should take time to go to the Burma bazar down by the port (near Perry's corner). It is safer than it looks, but always keep a watchful eye, and keep your money well hidden and out of sight. And NEVER PAY FULL price for anything as marked ... you can ALWAYS barter a lower price. If you have any extra days in Chennai, go to Fishermans Cove on a Sunday for relaxation, or take a day trip out to Pondicherry (old French colony) ... one of the cleanest places I saw in India.

Happy travels!!

Last edited by Nandaly; 01-31-2011 at 10:23 PM.