View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
haus
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Holding phone and signal drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCotta View Post
Alright, fair enough. I apologize for the tone of my previous post, it was typed hastily and at a frustrating point in my day/week. I happen to know a lot of people who think their phones are broken because when they wrap their hand around the entire device, the signal drops. It's slightly amazing to me that they don't get what's happening, especially as they're supposed to be engineers. Basically the way Apple tried to play off their little issue permanently pissed me off on the subject as the general public (read: iPhone users) believes anything they say. Every phone I've owned has dropped 1-2 "bars" when I hold it as shown in your photo. I haven't had any signal issues with my Shift, agree to disagree? *offers hand for web shake*
Thanks. As Rangie said, the antenna is on the bottom. Though I seem to be the only Shift owner who experiences this, my photos show that signal is dropping. Let's say the call doesn't drop, but the signal gets weaker and the phone has to work a bit harder, eating more battery life.

The thing that irks me is that I'm not gripping the phone unusually in that photo. You can clearly see that two of my fingers aren't even around the body of the phone - this isn't a death grip on the device. This is how I would hold it walking down the street or in my house.

Now to be fair, since I didn't buy TEP, maybe I'm clasping my new $500+ phone more tightly than my TP2 which can probably be replaced for a song on Ebay now. Maybe over time I will treat it with less respect and toss it around more in the open air. I also have big hands.

But thinking back to my phone history: Motorola Timeport P270, Motorola V710, SonyEricsson T608, HTC Apache, Treo 700wx, Treo 800w, Moto Q, Samsung Intrepid, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 - to name a few since I switched from GSM - I've never seen signal drop from what I would consider "normal" holding of a phone.

I think we all saw the TP2 thread where you had to cup your hand over the top of the phone to make a signal drop. I would pretty much never hold a phone that way and to me that made a lot of sense.

The Shift - ok, my Shift - loses signal when I hold it the way I think I'm supposed to hold it (waiting for a "hold different" directive from HTC on this, preferably with a visual aid!). Just seems unusual to me and a strange design choice from a company that has been doing this for awhile.

If nobody else in here reports the same thing, maybe my antenna is broken or loose, though calls certainly seem to work fine (I never go below 2 bars anywhere I've tried the phone so far).

Last edited by haus; 01-19-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Edited treo model