View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
arrrghhh
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Connect phone to router, not make phone the router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichol View Post
Opps, yes key assumptions I made and wording left off. I would like to share my 3G connection through my home router. I probably should reword my first post! Sorry for the confusion!
Ohhhhhh I see what you're saying...

Your router would need to be able to handle that. That's really a question for your router provider - if your router can operate as a repeater or a bridge (I forget the actual term) then yes, it's possible.

Most routers cannot do this out of the box, unless it's a fairly beefy (read: expensive) router. Mine can, but not with the factory firmware. Had to upgrade to DDWRT to be able to do advanced things like what you want.

Also, sharing my connection with just my computer is painful. I can't imagine how bad it would be with more than one machine on it...