View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 PM
timezone
N00b

timezone is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A call to arms - Windows 7 phone succeeds

Note: Before someone says, just add this to the Doomed thread, let me say it is about setting a different tone and asking people to step up.

A few weeks ago I purchased the HTC HD7 phone from T-mobile. Unless I find real issues with the network I will be leaving Sprint. I think Sprint is great and offers plans that are better than Tmobile. Although only in degrees. I said many times to myself I would never leave Sprint just because of a phone. I am a huge fan of Sprint and joined many years ago when they first arrived in my area. I guess I left Sprint because of the phone and OS.

To put it bluntly the phone is to die for and the new Windows 7 phone OS is amazing. Sure there are things to complain about. The camera button is hard to press. The screen is not as good as some of the others but still surprisingly nice. Worse issue, back to the good old days when the sunlight makes viewing the screen almost impossible.

I may not be quite the hacker as others but I did relish the task of making changes to the registry and altering the phone to my taste. Those days are in question. I say that because Microsoft appears to be sending out goodwill gestures to the development community. I don't think this is a completely dead issue.

The question is do we hack just to hack? Are we the ones that install on our PC's more utility programs than the programs needed to be productive. Or buy more camera, ski, electronic equipment, etc because it is cool? In other words if the new Windows 7 phone is 80 to 90% at the place we tried to reach with all the hacks to the old OS then why not embrace it?

If we are not Apple people and believe Android is going to become fragmented by the cell companies and handset manufactures then why not support Microsoft? Google just wants our skin to sell to advertisers. Go into a Best Buy and all you see are bricked Windows 7 phones with a photo of the screen. Anyone looking at it might think, interesting but so what is the big deal if there is even one.

We are the advertisers. We are the early adapters of new technology. We are the ones our friends and family goto when they want to know what to buy. We should go out and buy a Windows 7 phone to show our friends and family what it is all about. If we do this and the phone succeeds then there will be more apps and Microsoft will listen even more to the development community. Stop asking the question will this OS succeed and become the reason for its success.

FYI - Some may be disappointed but believe me, this OS is beautiful. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.
This post has been thanked 7 times.