View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 12:15 AM
teradog
VIP Member - Retired
Threadstarter

teradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the communityteradog is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: DREAM PHONE - Mini guide :>))

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung18 View Post
Hey tera im a long time follower of ur advice. Just wanted to tell you my reults with a set pp. Using dynamic I usuall have 120 megs free with ipt. I can tell you with a pp of 10 I actuall have more free ram naturally. I think it has to do with the cpu constantly having to monitor ram usage and som programs naturally using more ram than others. Also while the pp is supposed to be used by the os I think the cprog, device.exe, and gwes, filesys may all use that reserved pp ram. Try it out some time and tell me what you think.
Good job thinking that one through... you now have rep..
I've flashed everything from zero to 34, by two's different ROM's even a few odd numbers along the way.

Just recommended yesterday in some thread to a guy running out of memory in Opera to flash pp 10-12 for starters. The lower you go the more RAM you'll have on start & the more sluggish the OS will be, screen changes, Sense slider, etc.. you're giving the OS less RAM to work with... But, more will be available to the programs... like Opera.

I agree with you i.e. the OS being some of the very processes your mentioned. And, I believe those progs will actually give up some of it when needed if RAM is running low. BUT, what I found in my testing (may be diff for others)... was that unless you had a lot of RAM to start, the OS would bottom out & die, not returning any when needed. If I started around 60 for example with pp zero, and used a few progs, google maps, several opera tabs... it litterally wouldn't release the RAM again after dropping below 15MB lets say, and would get so low it would lock my TP2 up completely, recoverable only on a reboot.

With a Startmenu replacement, starting @ around 85 MB lets say, not only does the OS (menu's, graphics, screen changes, etc..) smoke, it never bottoms out!! Starting with even more has given better results.

One for you... burn 007 @ 8 run for a couple days, then burn it @ 32... see for yourself, I'd like to hear your results!

I ran 32 for a while but really started to run out of RAM for program use fast, but that was before running start & sense replacements (getting 120 MB of RAM after dumping Arkswitch).

Zero definintally uses more up front, makes the OS, menu's, etc REAL snappy... Zero is managed by Windows & usually MS blows RAM management.. but with 120 to start, I've still got more than enough to deal with. Had 2 programs running & wifi router still had 67 MB free!

Many moons ago all our problems for servers & server farm issues were solved with one simple phrase... more RAM.
Priority 1: ~25MB start menu replacement
2: dump sense & cookie
Now we have over 115 to work with even with some cabs loaded.. wowsers..

A couple times in the Energy thread I burned the same ROM over & over starting around pp12 I think, going to 24ish.. I list the RAM each time.

Maybe next ROM for the heck of it I'll burn a 2, 6, 12, 18, 24, 30 & check how much RAM after each... would really be interested in how much with a pp of 4 lets say!! I'll bet around 134MB with our setup dumping start & sense!!! Seems distant to me now, but if I remember right it was a 1 to 1 ratio... (drop 10 gain 10)

Last edited by teradog; 01-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.