View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Noir
VIP Member

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The keys to Windows Phone's Success

After a few days, many blogs and tech news sites released news that are not surprising to me: Windows Phone 7 handsets have sold out at AT&T and T-Mobile. It takes no rocket science to note that this is what Ballmer wanted when the debut of windows phone 7 first became reality almost one year ago. Millions on Millions of dollars are not only spent on advertising, but also spent on ensuring that customers get the best experience on a mobile platform. However, does the selling of devices mean it is successful? Let's note that the HTC HD2 also sold out in a matter of days at T-mobile; as did the iphone, and a few more handsets that was so heavily hyped. The question therefore should be how can Microsoft continue its success?

In many ways, Microsoft is setting the proverbial pins for success by ensuring that there is a rigid standardization that OEMs must follow. Here's the problem: the rigid standard does not matriculate to the carrier. No, I don't mean strict hardware requirements, I mean advertising and selling environments. Microsoft has done a lot to advertise Windows Phone; to include having advertisements during the world series. Kudos Microsoft. However, does the advertisment mean much if a user walks in and sees nothing on Windows Phone 7 in a typical mobile store? My initial experience with two of Microsoft's launch partner is quite scary, as there was no standard.

The first store I walked into was a modest AT&T located in downtown Chicago. Of course, to anyone, it has gained much notoriety with the droves of people that are lined up to receive a glimpse of a new iphone. It was made abundantly clear that the AT&T kiosk made sure that customers knew windows phone 7 was looming. The shelf wasn't extremely huge but it was big enough for a customer to say this is what I was looking for. The customer service reprentatives were also quite knowledgable on the phones; giving me the name of the devices and how they differed. In essence, the team at the downtown location was ready.

Now a few blocks away, was a T-Mobile of Chicago; not as well known as the AT&T store, but one of the few accesisble T-Mobile stores available. On the Monday of release, I noticed there was absolutely nothing about Windows Phone 7 and if there were no accessories of the Windows Phone 7, I wouldn't have known it was sold. Of course I was surrounded by smartphones users that waited patiently for their Windows Phone 7 (or any new technological kick) device. As the first customer asked for the device, both customer service representatives looked dumbfounded as the customer was speaking an alien language; which led to a barrage of questions on their part. What is this Windows Phone 7? Do we even have any devices? Mind you this is on launch day! And this is not the questions of the customers but the service representatives! It's Monday and I am a bit slow on Mondays myself, but not knowing about the merchandise, no advertising, makes me wonder does Microsoft want this to succeed?

Of course, Balmer wants the answer to be an emphatic YES! However, there are two blaring issues with the success; standardization of carrier release and advertising. The two are related actually; with the latter leading to the preceding. Again Microsoft has spent almost one billion dollars on advertising, and it has been shown in a lot of places, but what do the advertisements mean and are they representative of a good Windows Phone experience? Absolutely not.

Get in, get out! That is the slogan of the Windows Phone. However, like every smart phone, there is no possible way that a user can get in and get out on any platform; may it be apple, microsoft, rim or google. The Windows Phone 7 UI does show a lot of different things, but its really only an unread count; which means users still have to take a look at messages and respond in the same way as many people have done on the commercials and even in the most grotesque places. The advertisements are misleading and they don't have to be.

There are several positive aspects about Windows Phone 7; it's simplicity, elegance, rich media experience, the list goes on. Why would Microsoft focus on get in and get out if the goal is to reach the consumer? Why don't I see something about the best music and video experience on a mobile platform backed by Microsoft Xbox Live? I know even someone as young as 13 will beg their family for that device! DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS! Microsoft show off some of that development! The last thing any person needs is a lie, and the get in and get out campaign is just that. A lie.

The success of Windows Phone 7 lies in two domains that Balmer himself admits (at least one of them): advertising and carrier promotion. Both of these aspects so far are quite lackluster with the millions of dollars spent on this advertising campaing. Microsoft, if you want success, step it up! And fast! The holiday season is fast approaching. If you want supremacy this holiday season, tighten up the bolts, make some changes, and advertise the product and ensure that all carrier partners have a standardized experience. It's not difficult. Apple has already done it. Isn't it your turn?