View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
blegs38552
Lurker

blegs38552 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange characters when composing text/email messages

When composing an email or text message, I type a character on the top row of the QWERTY keyboard, and it comes out as a Unicode character rather than the normal ASCII character (see attachment below). I identified these as Latin Letters with CEDILLA, which is a little hook that is used to modify the pronunciation (per Wikepedia). Does anyone have any idea why these are being inserted into my messages, and how I can stop the behavior (perhaps a registry tweak of some sort)? This does not happen every time I type one of these characters, usually when I roll my finger off of the top of the key (that's the best way that I can describe it). See my attachment below for some of these examples (this will be tough to read, but perhaps someone can make sense of it). When I use the built in spell check, the word containing one of these characters is flagged as an error (but, not surprisingly, with no suggestion) since one of the letters is not recognized.

I have posted this query to various forums. Either I have received no response, or the responder is unable to replicate the problem (but I cannot believe that I am the only person with it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEDIL.jpg (3.2 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by blegs38552; 10-05-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Revise attachment