View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
SNYPE2K9
Lurker

SNYPE2K9 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have been out of the scene for about six months anything I should know?

I see that we have finally gotten stable overclocking, I know the last tool was limited and didn't work for everyone (and that includes me >.>). I also see that over time XDANDROID went from being practically unusable to nearly main OS worthy. In fact it looks like the TP runs Android better than my Samsung Moment, which is a bigger shame since I dropped the cash for it. It even has hardware 3d which is something even my Moment doesn't have. I think it was the lack of hardware 3d that made Android so unusable for me. Software graphics acceleration drained my battery like crazy (like less than a day without using it) and made non-MP4 video impossible to play. I have literally tried running Rock Player and the video plays at about 50% speed and falls out of synch with the audio...it's terrible.

I have a few questions though.

Did we ever get hardware 3D on WinMo?

I know this was a big topic for a while but in searching I never saw any conclusion. I just wondered since we apparently got hardware 3D on Android, which I'm gonna guess was somehow ported from the HTC Hero.

Does the Android port handle basic emulation well?

I had bought Gameboid on the Market and it would be a shame to not be able to use it, especially since the WinMo GBA/SNES/Genesis emulators seemed so primitive and slow when I left.

Has that improved at all?

I'm going to assume the only emulator that could have been updated was Morph Gear (well other than FPSECE which I continued to watch even when I had no WinMo device). Is it fullspeed without frameskip yet?

Does the Android port play video well?

Even if we don't have hardware 3d on WinMo we have it on Android. Because of that I would think that we should be able to support some nice video playback, like better quality than in WinMo. Though of course we all know the Market lacks video players that support a lot of formats.

Is there anything I should know before jumping back into the scene?

It has been over six months, basically an eternity in smartphone land, so I am sure a lot has gone on in my absence. I just can't help but come back to the Touch Pro. I personally found WinMo to be the best operating system I've ever used on a regular basis. I've experienced iOS and I am currently using Android and I never felt like I had much control (even after jailbreaking and rooting). Plus I never really liked the handsets and I can't leave Sprint. The Evo and the Epic interested me but they cost $400 aftermarket. With about a year left on my contract and they aren't even compatible with my plan I don't even consider them options. This leaves me with the Moment and the Hero as dedicated Android devices...which isn't even something I care for. The Moment just plain blows and the Hero is pretty much the Touch Diamond with multitouch. Plus, and I know this will shock you all, I prefer resistive touchscreens! On top of being a computer sciences student I am also a web developer and a graphic designer. I like to be able to draw or make quick edits with my phone. Pocket Artist was a godsend to me. In fact Pocket Artist and FPSECE are two of the main things bringing me back to the Touch Pro that and the fact that the Touch Pro seems to run Android better than my actual Android phone >.>

Last edited by SNYPE2K9; 09-22-2010 at 11:17 PM.