View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 07:11 PM
creedo
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Overclocking made it MORE stable?! Am I crazy?

Good to see I'm not just imagining this. I think this is how the phone is MEANT to be run with wm6.5 and the newest sense. It's like that extra processing power is being used to clean up the garbage and free up RAM that used to stay tied up. I'm STILL showing about 66% memory usage after days of running it.

It's like the memory leak is fixed and therefore everything is fixed... nothing runs slow or crashes because the memory is where it's supposed to be.

This really does make the phone 10x more usable and stable. Don't buy the stuff about needing AC power or dealing with reboot loops or crashes. Trying this mod is safe because the settings do not stick after a reboot. So you won't get locked out of your phone. You can, after using it for a while, choose to make the settings stick.

I hate to be critical but the setcpuspeed app (the one in gono's guide) just isn't as good as overclock tool. By default, it doesn't have all those mysterious settings set correctly (steps, interval, etc.) and it doesn't offer any way to change them. So while it technically runs at a higher clock speed, it seems almost doomed to cause problems.

I think the specific OCT settings thread has a great explanation of what all those settings mean, but honestly the defaults will work for most people I think. If the phone gives problems at a certain speed using those defaults, just ratchet it down a notch instead of trying to squeeze a few more Mhz out.

OCT 1.5 is probably tied with mightyrom for the single best thing I could do to my phone.
This post has been thanked 2 times.