View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
daddymikey1975
Regular 'Geeker

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides

I found a GPS fix for the samsung moment that works on my epic and my wife's intercept FWIW... (not sure how to add this to the wiki)

copy/pasted from SDX... GPS Improvment? ***Use at your own risk***

by member "android"

Quote:

have found that by modifing one setting i have now been able to get a GPS lock inside a building and much faster locks outside.

1. Goto your dialer press *#1472365#
2. Click the setup button
3. Click Position Mode
4. Click Operating Mode
5. Set to MSAssisted. It seems that Sprint added the options for aGps but by default it is off.
6. Click Back arrow 4 times

To set Start Mode:
1. Goto your dialer press *#1472365#
2. Click the setup button
3. Click Position Mode
4. Click Starting Mode
5. Set to One of Cold, Warm, Hot
6. Click Back arrow 4 times

Enjoy a hopefully faster and Better GPS.

There are other settings in there, but I did not have the time to fully explore.

EDIT: I noiticed that after I made this change that the akmd2 process came back and squashed my poor battery. I think the process is related to the starting mode (Hot, Warm, Cold). I have set this to cold it will probably take longer to get a lock but, it should control that process. I will report back. EDIT: This change seems to have made a difference with the akmd2 process.

Difference between MS Asisted and MS Based.

What is MS-Assisted mode of operation?
In MS-Assisted mode, the network elements calculate the location of the device. This mode is suitable for one-shot fixes, wherein the location does not need to be updated frequently.

What is MS-Based mode of operation?
In MS-Based mode, the network provides the satellite information to the device, based on a rough estimate of where the device is located, and the device acquires the GPS signals from the satellites and calculates its location. After the initial fix, the device operates like an autonomous GPS receiver, until the satellite information must be refreshed, at which time the device goes back to the network to update the satellite information. MS-Based mode is appropriate for applications that require the device location to be updated rapidly, such as a navigation application.