View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM
quick99si
Halfway to VIP Status

quick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on repquick99si is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Samsung Epic 4G And HTC Touch Pro 2 Keyboard Comparison

I completely disagree on every point you've made. Before I continue, I should disclose that I own a TP2 but please don't assume this to be a fanboy post (my alltime favorite keyboard is the Mogul's, if that matters, and the Epic is on order as my next device).

1. I can't stand rectangular keyboards (but I'm getting it anyway, huh). Offset keys, much like the keyboard I'm typing on right now, are substantially more intuitive to me and many other people I've talked to. Square keyboards excel in efficiency in using space, whereas offset keys inspire more confidence, better accuracy when you're not looking, and I might even argue result in higher typing speed (that's an iffy topic so I won't go there). I think this becomes a moot point once you get used to the square keyboard anyway.

2. Plasticky keys, in my opinion, feel a lot cheaper and "insecure" to me when compared to more rubberized keys. I got a very distinct feeling of cheap plastic having been used on the Epic... it's a lot like comparing the interior components of a 2002 Camaro and a 2002 Acura... well, anything. That plastic seems like it belong on a Rumor and not a flagship device. The Epic's keys also felt like they wouldn't last 6 months and that they would discolor quickly (unlikely, it was just a feeling of a Fisher Price toy coated in lead paint to me personally).

3. I really don't see the additional spacing between keys on the Epic, to which you referred as your #1 point. I didn't notice it myself (it's possible that I was distracted by the awesome screen!) but looking at your video, they seem VERY similar in individual key size, key spacing (apart from the offsetting), and overall keyboard size. Maybe it's one of those things you have to feel rather than see in an internet video

And finally, I did like the Epic's more square arrow keys since they're not offset like TP2, the smiley face hard key is for high school girls (are they part of the Epic's demographic??), and the Android keys are a huge plus for everyday use.

All in all, I find it interesting that someone would prefer a plastic square keyboard with a smiley face over a TP2 keyboard because I hold the polar opposite opinion.

ps- the TP2's right arrow shortcut key isn't for volume, it's for the communication manager.