Thread: Speed up CHT
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 PM
creedo
PPCGeeks Regular

creedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good workcreedo is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Speed up CHT

I had the same problem so I went on a quest to find a way to make it work, because I found it damned useful to have 16 quick links. And I just wanted a faster phone in general.

There were two major things that feel slow when running it... scrolling between the quicklinks page and the clock page... and pressing the menu button.

The first is fixed totally. I now have it running quite smoothly on my TP, 16 quicklinks with transparent icons, transparent clock too.

The #1 thing that helped me the most was to ditch the stock rom in favor of a faster, lighter one. In this case I'm using mightyrom. I also installed mr.X in the past, which has a reputation for being a good light rom, but I had some issues with it and went for mightyrom instead.

The next thing I did (maybe mightyrom already had this feature) is install atomang's custom direct3d drivers for the phone. At this point it's already running smoothly, but I have also overclocked it a little (I think everyone who owns a TP2 should at least TRY overclocking to a safe 604-633 speed, which would be like 15%-20% speed boost for free).

Lastly I hide the slider and the quicklink backgrounds. I don't know for sure if this improves performance but I feel like it might have helped.

The menu still scrolls up a little jerkily. And to be blunt I suspect this is just a coding thing. Maybe the author is trying to animate it in too many steps. I've seen other popup menus on this phone that are very quick and responsive. I don't know programming but I figured out how to modify the layout and size of the quicklinks with the source code provided by the author. I think the Co0kieListControl.lua file controls the scrolling. Sometime I might try playing with it to see if I can make it scroll more smoothly (or just eliminate the scrolling would be fine).