View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM
bluedeer
PPCGeeks Regular

bluedeer is keeping up the good workbluedeer is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tom Codon CM Wifi cab => super hot phone?

I'm on my third Touch Pro 2, for different reasons that have nothing to do with this actually, and all three of them have had the same problem. When using WiFi and the phone, the phone gets rather warm. Especially while charging, which results in the protection circuit kicking in and shutting the phone off.

What I've done to eliminate this, was I built a small cradle using a 5v powered CPU fan, some USB cabling, and a small project case and all I do is just set my phone in this cradle, plug it in, and charge while the fan is spinning. This enables my phone to not only charge while acting as a WiFi hotspot, it also has the benefit of staying quite cool. It charges off of nearly any USB port or the USB charger wall warts (Which provide more than enough current to run the fan and charge the phone).

I'm not interested in making these for anybody unless I'm granted plenty of materials and funds, but it really does come in handy. You can get materials for your own easily around the house, and the fan I got on eBay. Just look for 5v fan. It's a little box fan like you'd use on a computer CPU or small laptop.