View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
bignadad
Cotton Pickin' Mod

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad
BiGnAdAd {How To} Manually Deodex Your Froyo Droid X to Allow Custom Themes

You must be rooted & have Froyo 2.2!

This is a guide on manually deodexing, you phone. You will need to perform this if you plan on using developers theme's for Froyo. I have performed this 2 or 3 times on my DX without a problem. If you have questions feel free to ask

Quote:
Deodexed ROMs allow the developer to more easily customize the phone interface.

For example, if you want to change icons or application configuration files. They are not packaged up in a deoxed rom. This allows them to be edited after the ROM is distributed.

There are alot of rom modifications that can only be flashed overtop of a deoxed rom. This is because they need to edit the system files that are packaged in a odex rom. This is where you have to pay attention.

You should not have to do a nandroid backup to flash between odexed and deodexed roms. When you flash a rom you are basically overwriting the system. A nandroid backup is probably overkill, but it will definitely work. The more nand bakups the better.
What you'll need:
A Windows based machine
xUltimate v2.2
Patience

Process:

1. Unzip xUltimate v2.2, and launch "Main.exe"
2. If everything goes well xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
3. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
4. Now these well take a while. Run option 3.
5. IMPORTANT: After you have run option 3, you MUST navigate to the xUltimate folder and find "origi_frame" folder, and delete "guava.odex". It's a bad file, and interferes with deodexing process.
6. Now run option 4, and wait.
7. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
8. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
9. Open a command prompt, and do the following:

Code:
adb shell
su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot
Your phone should now be deodexed!

You may notice an increase in speed, and you now have the ability to edit certain files with greater effects. (i.e. services.jar)

Credits Via Alldroid.net:
Rainabba and Mike919: For initially working with me to get a white clock, and later deodex.
toxman: For testing, and being a huge risk taker.
teenfaces: For letting me use his services.jar
And especially Xeudoxus: For letting me a guinea pig, for xUltimate, and answering my questions. And also for the making the xUltimate tool. It defiantly makes thing easier.

This post has been thanked 2 times.