View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
nyhtcguy

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
VoIP with automated speaker switch - working solution

This is my first thread. So Mods, please feel free to bump if necessary. Apologies in advance. May be relevant to other WM devices as well.

Still a noob, and am hoping this post can help others at same experience level. Tried solutions such as Fring, Internal WM VoIP, AutoAudioRoute, etc but could not get a working solution. Don't know how to flash a new ROM yet, so not an option. Thank you to developers and posters here whose work and experience have helped greatly.

In short, what worked for me was a combination of Teksoft's AudioRoute, AgePhone Mobile (softphone) and Google Voice (sorry, only US).

My quest: To turn my old HTC Titan into a VoIP over WiFi with automated speaker switch. Free is best, but willing to spend a little if I have to.

My phone: A former Sprint Mogul 6800, no longer active, so no plan whatsoever. WM 6.1, Stock Sprint ROM 3.56, Radio 3.42.

Was using Teksoft AudioRoute, but had to manipulate manually for each call, because for outgoing calls if speaker switch occurred before other party answered their phone - no outgoing audio.

Tried AgePhone Mobile softphone. They have a settings option that can execute AudioRoute speaker switch by command line. Execute on (call) Connect "-earpeice" Execute on Disconnect "-backspeaker"

However on outgoing calls, switch occurred too early, killing outgoing audio.

Was looking into a Google Voice number, when I read that the way it works, outgoing calls ring back to the phone number that you're forwarding calls to. Tested with AgePhone Mobile and success! Outgoing Google Voice call rings AgePhone, which switches to internal speaker when I pick up, then completes the call to the other party.

So for my phone at least SIP Provider w DID number + AgePhone Mobile ($35) + Teksoft AudioRoute + Google Voice + Google Voice Dialer = fully working, automated, speaker appropriate VoIP WiFi phone.

So, a relatively cheap solution but not free and only works for US users, but I hope this info might help out someone else.

Add Ons:
Free Google Voice dialpad: iDial (and iContacts)

I chose OneDialer instead ($7) because of integrated Google Voice SMS client - Free SMS!