Regular 'Geeker

mrgeoff is keeping up the good workmrgeoff is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to mrgeoff
Re: Cook your own Custom Touch ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Man_Jenkins View Post
This is just a quick guide on how to cook your own ROM. This is my method, others may have their own method. I am not re-writing a kitchen tutorial, I am merely condensing it into 5 simple steps. If you can follow instructions, you can cook your own ROM. The tricky part is, what do you do when you get an error? That's where the real fun begins, lol. It's trial & error.

All these tools are already out there, I only packaged them for convienience.....Thanks to DogGuy, Lattisimo, No2Chem, jakdillard, dharvey for making these tools available!

I have put together 2 versions, one that is based on a stock Sprint ROM, and one that is based on no2chem's v107 basekit (clean). These kitchens are based from DogGuys Kitchen, I would recommend reading his readme for more detailed information. I have made it alittle easier by including the .nbh and running prepit.

Step 1. Download & extract the Touch Kitchen of your choice. ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks..../OMJ/Kitchens/

Step 2. Copy your OEM's into the OEM folder. Many OEM's can be found here http://ppckitchen.org/packages/PPCGeeks_OEM.rar . You may have to search the forum/FTP to gather the OEM's you want.

Step 3. Run BuildOS, make sure there's a checkmark for each program you want to include in the ROM, then click the green "play" button at the top. It will say done at the bottom when finished.

Step 4. Open a command prompt window, make sure to change directory to where buildit.bat is located. If you're running WinXP, you can right click on the folder, then choose, "open command window here". Once you're in the correct directory, type "buildit.bat input.nbh" without the quotes. When complete, your ready to flash ROM will be in the RUU folder, named RUU_signed.nbh.

Step 5. Run the ROMUpdateUtility.exe in the RUU folder, you may want to 1st use the included PagePool changer to set the pagepool higher. I use 32, stock default is 12.

If this is your first attempt to build a rom, start simple. Just to get the feel of it, use the stock kitchen, follow the above steps, but skip step 2 (dont add any OEM's). Run BuildOS, buildit.bat, then flash. Next time around, add in your OEM's.

I hope this guide will help anyone that has interest in building their own custom ROM.....good luck

If you would like to build from scratch, the oiginal Kitchen can be found here:
ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks....chen_tools.rar
Shhhhh! You are telling the secret! lol

Nice simple guide. Don't forget to remind them that if they do run in issues, suggest that they search XDA and here.

Also, I just do buildit at the command line and don't include the nbh filename. Have you given that a shot?