View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
orangekid
Awesomenss :)

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: PPCGEEKS should expand iPhone coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2323 View Post
How about create a big article posted on the front page about "Where are we now", type of information. 3 years ago when the iPhone was released, it was about what it didn't have compared to WinMo and other platforms. You know, the simple stuff like MMS, etc. Now, as the phone, operating syste, and apps have matured, the distance is all but gone, if not eclipsed.

I personally have used WinMo phones for the last 7-8 years. I now own an iPhone 3GS and will have my iPhone 4 picked up by this time tomorrow (hopefully!). That being said, why do I have an iPhone now? Because what made the WinMo phones indespensable as an IT Admin/Consultant 5 years ago, is what has strengthened the iPhone today.

As of iOS 4, I personally can do everything on an iPhone that I could do on a WinMo phone, with far less hassle. There's either an app, or a jailbreak that will allow me to do whatever I need. The big kicker for me was multiple Exchange accounts. I have been so sick and tired of hearing Microsoft's same old "can't do more then one Exchange account" BS. As of a jailbreak, or now natively in iOS 4, I can do MULTIPLE exchange accounts and the system is smart enough to keep all my contacts, calendars and email seperate from each other, AND I can view them all in one place, AND I can see messages in threaded view.

What's my point? It would be informative to take an unbiased approach to comparing what each OS brings to the table. What can they do/not do. Start with a comparison from 3 years ago, through today. Whatever my needs, or someone elses are define which phone we endear ourselves to.

Let's make a list of what's useful, personal or business related, and put together some REAL-WORLD information about what functions, apps, etc. make one phone a choice over another:

SMS
MMS
Camera
Video
Email
Multiple email accounts
Apps (store)
Music
GPS
WiFi
CDMA vs GSM
Carrier vs Carrier
Jailbreak/Unlocked (ROM vs Firmware/Baseband?)
Speakerphone
Bluetooth
Touch screen
Hard buttons
Noise cancelation

That's all I could think of. Personally, I think it's more about people becoming interested in the real world then it ever is about what they read. The majority of people see a phone for a phone. They never visit a site like this to mess with their phone. I think a comparative article of all the things a phone has to offer, side-by-side, would lure people. That is what people are looking for online, "if I buy this phone what funtionality am I going to lose/gain?"

I went with iPhone because I wanted phone, GPS, music, camera, apps, etc., as an all-in-one device. I haven't used my Zune in weeks. I still have a Zune subscription, I just use Audials One (Tunebite) to strip the DRM so I can play it on another device. At $15 a month for unlimited downloads, I'm not trading that for $1.29 per song. If I had paid individually for the 10gb in music I have now, I would be broke. =) Bottom line, I'm not carrying 4 different devices with me anymore (phone, camera, Zune, GPS). I have one simple, easy to use, device.

Anyways, that's what I'd like to see.
why don't you write an editorial backed by some facts/sources and if it looks good I'll publish it on the front page. Lemme know if you wanna do that I'll get into the volunteer newsie forum, you can be our iNewsie

Last edited by orangekid; 06-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.