View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 AM
FastRX8
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post EVERYTHING EVO - Latest Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

*** Tutorials have been moved to Post #2 or Post #3 for HBOOT 2.02

***Root for Gingerbread 2.3 is now available(HBOOT 2.16)***
[ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial (Windows)

*** Important Note about Rooting ***
There are 2 basic options for rooting your phone.

1) If your phone has Gingerbread 2.3 and HBOOT 2.16, you need the new method [ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial (Windows)
So, if you just got a new/replacement EVO and it came w/ Gingerbread 2.3, or you did the OTA that Sprint sent out, chances are you need this method. You'll need to double check your HBOOT version first. If you have HBOOT 2.16, you need this method. Check the FAQ to see how to look up your HBOOT.

2) If you do not have Gingerbread 2.3, I recommend using the One-Click method. [GUIDE] One Click How to Root EVO with Unrevoked 3.21
It won't teach you anything about Android, and it won't teach you how to do a nandroid backup, which is always highly recommended, and it won't teach you how to install a custom rom, but it will give you root access.
I'm not going to write instructions for it. Quite honestly, if you need instructions for something that simple, you're in way over your head.
So, if you just want to get root access quick, follow the One-Click Method. Then you come back to this tutorial for info on loading a custom rom or doing a nandriod back up.

***********F.A.Q.***********

Q. What is Rooting?
A. Root is the user name or account that by default has access to all commands and files on Linux, Android or other Unix-like operating system. It is also referred to as the root account, root user and the superuser.

Q. Why would I want to Root my EVO?
A. Rooting gives you full control over the phone. It allows you to run programs that require root permission, like "Wireless Tether for Root Users" or "Titanium Backup." It also allows you to backup/restore your rom and to load custom roms or different radios.

Q. Does Rooting void my warranty?
A. Yes, if you root your phone, "technically" speaking, you did void your warranty. However, if you need to return your phone to Sprint, you can put the phone back to stock/unrooted by flashing a stock rom. http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Supersonic/

Q. Can I unroot my phone if I change my mind or if I need to take it in for service?
A. Yes, check the bottom of Post#2 the section titled **UN-ROOTING**

Q. Just got my EVO and it has all the latest updates. Can I still root my phone?
A. You need to verify which version of Gingerbread you have, then you can decide which method to use for rooting.

Q. My EVO has HBOOT 2.16, can I still root my phone?
A. That means you have Gingerbread 2.3. Follow this link - [ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial (Windows)

Q. How do I know what HBOOT Version I have?
A. Power-off your phone by holding the power-button for several seconds. The top choice is "Power Off."
While holding "Volume DOWN", push the "Power" button so the phone turns on.
Near the top it will display your HBOOT ####. This is your version.

Q. How do I know what Software Version I have?
A. Go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Information and look at the Software Number. This is your version.

Q. How do I know what Radio Version I have?
A. Go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Information and look at the Baseband Number. This is your radio version.

Q. How do I know what Hardware Version I have?
A. Go to Menu>Settings>About Phone>Hardware Information and look at the Hardware Version. This is your radio version.

Q. What is Full-Root vs. just Rooting Part 1?
A. Full-Root is the steps that give you full control over all the files on the phone. Part 1 (Section 1) only gives you Superuser Permissions but Part 2 (Section 2) allows you to actually write/change system files.
Here's a PC analogy -
Part 1 would let you install apps and remove those apps (but only those apps you installed). You can't change files on the C: drive, only files on your external storage.
I.E. You could install Firefox and then remove it. But you can't remove MS Paint or Internet Explorer because they are on the C drive and you don't have access to it.
Part 2 also lets you change files that came w/ your operating system.
I.E. You could install Firefox and then remove it. You could also choose to remove preloaded programs like MS Paint or Internet Explorer. You could even go to the C drive and delete every important file on there and ruin your pc.

Q. What does Rooting Part 1 only do?
A. Part 1 (Section 1) of the Rooting process is just to give you Superuser Access. In other words, you can install/run a program that requires special permission. The problem is that it won't give you a Superuser Permission Icon. Many of the programs that need root access also need the SU Icon. Without the icon, they won't work. If you only do Part 1 (Section 1) of the tutorial, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. You need to do a full-root in order to take advantage of all the benefits of rooting.

Q. What does Rooting Part 1 only NOT do?
A. If you only did Part 1, and nothing else, then;
It does not allow you to remove OEM installed apps. Like Sprint TV or NASCAR or Sprint Navigation.
It does not allow you to install programs on your sdcard.
It does not allow you to install custom roms.
It does not allow you to install newer radios.
To do any of these things, you need to do a full-root using Section 1 & 2 or Section 5, depending on what version your EVO is on.

Q. Can I remove Sprint apps?
A. Yes, if you have full-root access. However, this tutorial is not about how to become an android chef, it's about getting root access and backing up/restoring and flashing new roms. If you don't like the Sprint apps, there are other instructions on how to get rid of them, but you will need full-root access. Or, there are several custom roms that have them removed already.

Q. How can I tell if I rooted my EVO correctly?
A. Super easy way to figure out if you're rooted.
  1. Make sure USB Debugging is on.
    Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging should be checked
  2. Connect your phone using "Charge Only"
  3. Open a "Run" window and type "c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows shell"
If you get a "$" you're not rooted
If you get a "#" you're rooted

Click -->here<-- to see a picture of this.

Additional note: If you're on 1.47.651.1 and you believe you're rooted, you'll see the "$" first, type "SU" and hit enter. You'll get a pop-up on your phone for Superuser Permissions to "Allow" or "Deny" access. Click "Allow". If it changes to a "#" you're rooted. If you get "permission denied" you're not rooted.

Q. How can I tell if I have full-root access?
A. Go to the Market and install/open "Quick Boot" by Sirius Applications Ltd. Choose "Recovery." If you're phone boots into the recovery screen w/ the menu options, you have full-root, if you get stuck at the /!\ screen, you do not have full-root access yet.

Q. Getting an error on step 5N, what should I do?
A. Some people get an error at step 5M that says:
Code:
/sdcard/part1: cannot create /data/app-cache/com.android.browser/BEC48C17295CAF9
F550BCD500A0A6F03
/data/app-cache/com.android.browser/DE25D64D198E4BF84672045F0EAEE6CE
/data/app-cache/com.android.browser/EAFCD74DF11E57A3571B1E4D0B768134/foo: directory nonexistant
reboot and run part2
tophyr figured out a solution and posted it --->HERE<---
In an attempt to keep this guide complete, I'll just copy his directions in this post.

I don't have the exact directory names, but the process to get beyond where you're stuck is this: (Type the bold parts, my comments are in the italics)
Code:
cd /data/data/com.android.browser/flashlite
mv sharedobjects sharedobjects-
The move command may fail - don't worry if it does
ln -s /data/app-cache/com.android.browser/ sharedobjects
cd /app-cache/com.android.browser
ls
Here you should see at least one directory looking like 'BEC48C17295CAF9F550BCD500A0A6F03'. If there are multiple, repeat the following three lines for each. If there are not any, then refresh the website and/or find a new flash app (perhaps a game like mentioned above, or something) and repeat the 'ls' command after the app loads. You should then see a directory like the above.
Code:
cd <long-ass-directory> (You can use wildcards.. if it starts with B like the above, do 'cd B*'
cat /system/bin/rsync /system/bin/rsync /system/bin/rsync > foo
cd ..
These pretty much take care of what part1 tries to do, but likely fails to, if it's unable to outright delete the relevant directories. After running these commands manually, reboot the phone and follow the steps for part2 and beyond, and it *should* work. Did for me.

***********End of F.A.Q.***********

***********Videos***********

**Rooting - Full Root Parts I & II - Wipe - Flash - Without a PC or ADB Shell**
There are notes throughout the video that tell you what step of the video you are watching. If you do this, you can then use Rom Manager from the Market for any other things you need regarding roms. (i.e. Nand Backup/Restore, Flash newer roms/radios)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEot2oYKbw

These older videos are here for reference if anyone wants to use the PC method.

The first video shows me doing the Rooting/Recovery/Nand Backup/Wipe/Flash.
After I loaded a custom rom, I use Rom Manager to load a custom rom again. Rom Manager works great, but I would suggest everyone do the manual method the first time. Once you're on a custom rom, Rom Manager is definitely the way to go.
**Rooting - Recovery - Nand Backup - Wipe - Flash - Rom Manager**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oja2a6O96wQ

The second video is my doing part 2 of the rooting process. This will give you full system access. This part is not absolutely necessary, but it does allow you to use the Nand Restore option to replace all your settings the way you had them. Plus, it gives you full control of the phone from the phone. No need to connect to pc next time you want to load a new rom.
**Full Root - Unlocking NAND Protection**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXTB0eydwE
Attached Images
File Type: png Rooting Files.PNG (6.6 KB, 26079 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: png Android Terminal.png (853 Bytes, 25307 views) Click for barcode!
Attached Files
File Type: zip EVO-recovery.zip (2.90 MB, 7025 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip Full Root Files.zip (4.10 MB, 7613 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by FastRX8; 08-16-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added info about Gingerbread 2.3 Root
This post has been thanked 238 times.