georgepa
PPCGeeks Regular

georgepa is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Running HTC Wifi Sharing 24x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestea View Post
Has anyone ever tried to run HTC's wifi sharing software for an extended amount of time/days? I've used it alot on my Touch Diamond and find that eventually (3-4 hours) it heats up the phone/battery and then the battery stops charging resulting in the phone shutting off.

I am trying to find out if anyone has used a CDMA/Sprint phone to do this 24x7.... I know its a strage request but I am trying to give my old Sero plan to a relative who will only use it for Data. This is the only type of broadband they can get where they live and not only that but I will need to position the phone (and maybe use external antenna) in a specific spot for a consistant signal.

Maybe there is a phone I could use off of power supply only with no battery? Anyone else do something similar?

Obviously the proper way to do this is via data card and 3g cdma router, but that route will be about $24/month more, plus equipment costs.
1. You can use the Diamond, Mogul and other phones to tether. The problem is the battery. It depends how you use the internet. If you go mostly to sites to read (i.e. Google News, Howardforums, etc.) then you should not run out of battery juice faster than you can charge via USB or AC adapter. If you browse a lot of streams (video, radio, Youtube, etc.) then you are using more battery than you can charge, resulting in shutdown. There is ONE phone available (only that one) that you can tether to a computer, then take the battery out and run solely on AC adapter or USB (which prevents the battery overheating issue,) and that phone is the Sprint HTC Touch. All other phones will shut down as soon as you remove the battery, so the HTC Touch might fit the bill.

2. If you only use data you can go with Boost CDMA's Pay-as-You-Go account. You can move the HTC Touch, HTC Mogul, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2 and other Sprint phones into Boost CDMA and pay only $10 over a 90 day period. So, for $3.33 per month you get unlimited 3G data on the Sprint data network. Talk is 10 cts. per minute and texts are 10cts., but 3G data is unlimited and included.