Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM
mattsm
PPCKitchen Crew

mattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Newbie Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm9 View Post
Please excuse the newbie question. I have searched but did not see any posts that specifically answer my question.

I have a HTC 6800 running Win Mobile 6.0 with a small (CDMA) carrier in the Sierras. Due to the size of the carrier, there is no ‘upgrade’ path to an official ROM, nor does the carrier have access to the original ROM currently installed on the phone.

While this small carrier provides excellent service, their customers do not have the ability to receive data while roaming and will not have this feature for quite a few months to come, which I desperately need for business. I’m considering switching to Sprint and my questions is this; If I upgrade to Sprint’s official ROM and later wish to return (after they have data roaming) to my current carrier, will a hard rest on the 6800 remove the Sprint ROM, or will the 6800 be forever branded with Sprint? Should I just buy a used Sprint smart phone instead?

Thanks!
Just flashing a phone with a sprint rom will not allow it to work on the sprint network. Sprint must add the device's esn to their list(if you can get them to do this---They don't most of the time).

A hard reset will not remove the rom that is currently flashed to the device. It only removes all data that was applied or anything installed after the initial flash. Basically it is like flashing that same rom again. Starting fresh with that rom.

Your best bet for your condition is to get a sprint phone, or go with another carrier that does add esn's to their system.
I believe sprint is the only one that is a pain in the A$$.
Now flashing to another carrier, there may be some other things that need to be done in order for it to work. Like using qpst to change the msl code.

Good luck on what you decide.