johncal
PPCGeeks Regular

johncal is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: phone re-image/backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I have learned a while back that it isn't a wise ideal to do a full restore from SPB Backup when updating rom because sometimes it defeats the reason to do the update, the rom may have fixes in the registry of config files that basically get restored to the original files in the backup that can cause same issue to return and in some case cause new one;;;

Glad it seems to be working for you but if you start noticing issues you might want to take this into consideration, restoring just contacts and email and messages under option menu usually works best.
That's why SPB Backup has a restore feature that it used for "ROM UPGRADES". In fact, it notices the difference and suggests using this method when it notices the rom version on the same phone is different. Worked perfectly for me, but then again if you're using cooked ROM's the results .... well who knows. It doesn't hurt to try. If you have issues creep in, then just hard reset and load from scratch.

I guess what I don't understand is the guys saying NOT to do a backup restore after a ROM upgrade. It takes literally 5 minutes to do the resore pressing like 3 buttons. If it doesn't work, it's no big deal. But if it does, it can save hours of tweaking and work. Yeah, something might not work perfectly or have some "issue down the road" but I would say 99% of the time the issue down the road isn't goig to happen and if it is down the road it really was a problem that was there right after the restore that wasn't noticed.

Also, SPB has a feature called selective backup. If you're concerned, just backup what you want restored after the upgrade and then you don't have to worry about it.

I'll say this again, I had no problem upgrading to MR1 and restoring. It might not work for you, or it might!