View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 AM
rainfreak
Gettin' Freaky With It
Threadstarter

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: rainfreak's App Recommendations

The next app is MMA Underground, developed by getFused.

As an avid mixed martial arts (MMA) fan, I am always looking for the latest news on the fighters and an up to date list of upcoming events for UFC, StrikeForce, WEC, K-1 and other relevant organizations. MMA Underground does not disappoint; instead it gives even the biggest MMA fan all of that and much, much more! The first of four tabs available in the app is for news articles, which are grabbed from many sources, including tapout.com, mmanews.com, mmajunkie.com and tmz.com, just to name a very few. Each news story can be clicked to view a larger version of the picture, read more of the story, and click a link to open a browser for full access to the original article.

Main News Tab:

Individual Story:

The second tab is for searching fighters to review their Bio from mixedmartialarts.com, including a large picture of the fighter, their record (overall and W/L per fight), titles held (if any) and their background in MMA. The information is very accurate (compared to sherdog.com and other reputable MMA sites) however I did find some of the fight information a little out of date (2-3 weeks behind on updates).

The third tab is for events and is shows upcoming events in chronological order. Not only are the UFC, Strikeforce, WEC and K-1 listed, but so are literally hundreds of local and regional competitions, from pure MMA to Brazillian Jujitsu and everything in between. Clicking the title of an event will show you the event's date/time, location and (sometimes) cost. You will also be able to view the entire fight card including pictures of the fighters (if available) and their current record. I did find that a few of the events' information pages failed to load, but all of them were for local or regional events. Also on the main events tab is a recent events button to view past events (14 days) and the outcome of each fight on the particular fight cards.

The fourth and final tab is for access to multiple MMA forums, including "The Underground" at tapout.com, mixedmartialarts.com and about 10-12 more. While you can review the threads for the forums from within the MMA Underground app, you are not currently able to reply to a thread.

Overall, I am very impressed with MMA Underground and will continue to support it as it develops further. Previously I had been using iTrack MMA and, while it is a good app, it does not offer as many of the ammenities that MMA Underground does. As with many of the better apps in the Market, MMA Underground is not free, but I personally think the $1.99 cost is very insignificant in comparison to what it has to offer. Unfortunately there is no trial version of MMA Underground, but if you are a real fan of MMA, you already don't care and plan to buy it anyway.

The full version can be found in the Market. More information on MMA Underground can be found here. You can also download directly with your Android device by using this barcode:

Last edited by rainfreak; 05-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.