View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 PM
elephant007
domo arigato mr roboto

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow Android Glossary

Thought we'd want to start something like in another forum on this site under General Windows Mobile Discussions

I'll start and add as others post more info

Android OS: A Linux based open source operating system started by the Open Handset Alliance and led by Google, this a Java based OS

Android SDK: System Developer’s Kit includes all tools developers use to create applications for Android OS based phones. Also contains utilities to access the phone via ADB

ADB: Android Debug Bridge. Utility built-in the Android SDK which uses command line to perform various tasks to an Android based phone connected a computer via USB. You can also browse your phone with this utility. Bridge for more information.

APK File: Android application package file. Similar to a WinMo's CAB file. This file has all the required files to install that particular program. This file can be opened by using a compression tool like 7zip.

Apps2SD: Users which have root access can use software to install applications to the SDCard instead of internal memory

Drawer: Official name for the slide up menu which shows installed applications

Google: Does this really need to be explained? HA HA You'll need a Google account though if you want to access Market. You can also get your Google email and related stuff on these phones

Kernel: Essentially this is the base of the Operating System, the nucleus if you will

Market: Application on all Android phones where a user can find applications built specifically for Android (depending on your version). Lots of free apps, some cost per app, some useful and some useless (unless you just want them for fun, yes they have fart apps)

Linux: A Unix based operating system mainly developed by Linus Torvalds History Of Linux. Basically built

Open Source: Free and open source software which is liberally licensed so that the user may study, change, and improve its design through the availability of its source code

Recovery Mode: Access recovery mode by powering on your phone by holding VOLUME DOWN + TALK + POWER buttons. Most rooted phones have a more powerful recovery mode (ability to backup/restore phone as well as apply special update) than a non rooted phone. Recovery mode will also allow you to do a factory reset on your phone and that means getting your phone back to the state in which you received it when you pulled it out the box

Root access: Also seen as rooted you mainly read about in fourms. To gain administrative access allows you to have complete access to the underlying OS. Often referred to as SU or SuperUser

Root folder: The top most folder of the folder structure often referred to by a forward slash /

Shell: Often referred to as Terminal, Bash or command line. Typically this is where you would make configuration changes. Command line is a a powerful way to make changes which you usually couldn't do in a graphical users interface (GUI)

Version: Substantial improvements to a given OS that change either the capabilities, structures, compatibilities, optimizations, graphical interfaces or especially kernels. Android versions include 1.5 Cup Cakes (kernel 2.6.27), 1.6 Donut (kernel 2.6.29), 2.0/2.1 Eclair (kernel 2.6.29) all of those versions have been released. It has been announced the next two version will be called Froyo and then Gingerbread

Widget: Loosely defined as a shortcut to an app on your home screen(s). Real widgets give you a quick look at the application without having to open the app, e.g. scrolling RSS Feed and CPU usage, etc...
If you have something you'd like me to add all I ask is that you type it in the same format that I typed mine, this way I can just copy and paste!!

TERM: DEFINITION

Last edited by elephant007; 04-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.
This post has been thanked 14 times.