View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
KevinStraight
Lurker

KevinStraight is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can you disable data and use a voice plan only?

Greetings All,
After some disagreement with Bell, I've tried to find some truth regarding smart phone plans and the OMNIA II. The Bell representatives stated the Omnia II will only work with a smartphone plans (which conveniently start at $50 Ouch!)

Supposedly if I outright buy the phone (full price) I won't be forced into a contract. Assuming I'm contract free... can I subscribe to a cheaper monthly voice plan only?

The goal is to use the phone as a WM 6.5 PDA and surf only when in the vicinity of WIFI (home and office etc). For the few phone calls I make (which avg 4-5 a month - yes I hate talking on a cell phone), a simple voice plan with basic text messaging should suffice?

The issues surrounding this are:

A. Has this been done successfully before - is anyone doing it now???
B. When a WIFI hotspot isn't available, will the browser fail or will it secretly connect to the cellular network and ding me with data charges?
C. Having no prior experience with a GPS enabled cell phone - this "A-GPS" needs the data package to work? Or can I use it with a voice plan only?
D. I've heard stories of smartphones constantly talking to the cellular network, is this an issue? or is there a way to disable the data connections forcing it to use WIFI only?
E. Would any of this warrent unlocking the phone? Bell stated it comes locked with a Bell SIM card (its on their HSPA+ network).

Again, the goal is to use it as a suped' up PDA, surf only on WIFI and subscribe to a bare bones phone package for that occasional call I might make.

Suggestions? Comments? Advice?