View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 AM
jbearamus
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Where is "My Documents" folder located on Omnia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispahan View Post
THANKS for your answers.

1.why should I install a software on my storage card when "my storage", which is the memory on my device, is still 15 GB free? Is there a difference when I install on the storage card or the device?? I notice that wherever you install it, you always have "something" also installed on the "main storage" which is only 500 mb.

2. The intriguing thing here for me is really "main storage". WHAT IS IT? It is definitely not RAM. It is also not "my storage". I guess it is part of "my storage"(the device memory), but separate from it.

If we want to talk in desktop terms, what would it be on a desktop? What does it do? Why is it separated from "my storage"? What is the "reserved part" on it and can we reduce that part, because that reserved part actually takes most of it in my device.

I notice I only get "short on memory" alarm when the memory on this "main storage" is low. It is not from low memory on "my storage" as I said I have 15 gb free on it.

I would appreciate answers to above questions as many other newbies like me have the same questions.
1. You don't necessarily have to or should install things to the memory card. Really that advantage to it is for devices that don't have that much on board memory such as my TP2 so I install to the memory card to leave device memory free, also its a good way to keep everything backed up, for example if I flash my phone then rather than having to install everything again I just have to create some shortcuts on the device and bam, everything is exactly as it was. Honestly if I had that much storage space, most of my stuff would get installed to the device because
the advantage of installing to the device is that the program still functions even if the memory card is removed and the program itself will run faster because its not queing up the memory card to run
also, programs on the storage card may be taking space on the device itself because if it has to create or store information, it's default may be to store that information on the device; unfortunately regardless of installation location
2. I don't actually have an answer to "my storage" vs "main storage" if the "my storage" isn't on the memory card than both of course are located on the device and no it is definitely not ram. I'd heard samsung uses weird filing systems on their devices but it's bizarre to have both of those separate but the same in the same place
hopefully we can get someone more experience with samsung to wander in here