Thread: Pandora on 6.5?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pandora on 6.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
well compared to the vogue which is like 3 years old its not broken but on any other device, Palm , Iphone, or Droid that sound quality is HORRIBLE AND THE BUTTONS ARE HORRIBLE, thats what i mean by broken. I'm not going to compare it to some random low bit site when on my android i'm getting high quality. I think its fair to compare the same app across platforms. I don't know which platform the op is coming from but if he had any one of the ones i named and he's coming to winmo he will be disappointed.
I hear what you are saying, but lets look at it this way:
Windows Mobile got Pandora version 1. It had buttons designed for the standard resolution of the time (QVGA) and an mp3 stream. No other smartphones had Pandora yet, and it was considered pretty darned cool.

Then, Pandora created version 2. Version 2 has a new and improved AAC stream!
Version two was released for Android, WebOS, Blackberry, iPhone and the brand-new Windows Phone 7, and created the menus/buttons for their sized screens.

Now, why didn't windows mobile get version 2? Part of the reason, according to Pandora, is that WinMo has so much hardware variety and they aren't interested in creating a new version of the app for each one. Its too much work and they just aren't interested.
Which I guess makes sense- imagine you were Pandora engineers, working on a VGA version for the Touch Pro, when suddenly you find out the Touch Pro 2 or HD2 will be released in a couple of months with yet ANOTHER resolution. Or the Palm Pro with Square dimensions. Compare that with WebOS, iPhone, and BB where the resolutions don't change nearly as often, and you'll understand why they didn't bother with Version 2 for us (to quote a Palm engineer in an email correspondence, they "reach more customers for less effort" focusing on the other platforms).

We're still stuck on version 1. Version one isn't BROKEN, its just inferior... and its got nothing to do with the OS or the device. Its Pandora- they don't want to write version 2 for WinMo Classic.