Thread: Pandora on 6.5?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Pandora on 6.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Pandora doesn't work fine for winmo. the sound quality is horrible compared to any other device plus the buttons aren't made for winmo 6.1 or 6.5. That is why the buttons look like that. all we do on here is work arounds to make the buttons work but nobody has a work around for the horrible sound quality.
Do you remember when Pandora first came out for the Vogue? The sound quality didn't change, however our expectations for streaming audio have. There is nothing "broken" about it, that's just what low-bitrate streaming mp3 sounds like. Find a shoutcast station with the same bitrate and codec, you'll notice the same effect.

Second of all, the buttons are fine in WinMo. The problem however, is that they were designed for QVGA.
I've got a Vogue (QVGA display) around here still, flashed to 6.5. Last I tried Pandora, the buttons looked fine if I recall correctly. And the sound was still the same as its always been.

There is no "workaround" for the sound, since that is how the app was designed to work. Remember, WinMo got it first. At the time, low bandwidth mp3 was acceptable. The other devices sound better because they came out later, and are using the newer and superior AAC codecs instead of mp3. We can scale and resize the graphics to work with our much larger screens (albeit being cut off a little), etc, but the sound delivery system was designed by Pandora to work like this and we don't access to a way to change that.

In a nutshell, its not "broken". I say it works fine because this is, in fact, how it was designed to work.
Yes, it severely needs an update for AAC and higher resolution. But they won't do it. They're busy pushing the WinPhone 7 version, and consider 6.x dead.