View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 01:20 AM
tenthirty2
Regular 'Geeker

tenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartenthirty2 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HERE'S a PPCGeeks thought to ponder...?

I've been thinking... Yeah, yeah, I know, that can be dangerous, but stay with me. Let's just say, HYPOTHETICALLY, that a guy was to follow the instructions found here:

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/i-changed-my...light,esn.html

Let's say it worked, that he got a good ESN (electronic serial number for the noobs) from, oh I don't know, a Razr or something, and for all appearances, the 6700 appeared to be a Razr, at least as far as the phone's ESN goes. Big deal, right?

I mean, the reason phones' ESN numbers aren't to be tampered with is because of fraud, right? Each device is given a unique ESN and phone companies don't want you to have two phones with the same number, because they'd starve and wouldn't be able to pay their light bills, so they call it "cloning", and say it's illegal. BUT, if you aren't cloning someone else's phone to illegally steal phone service, but instead tampered with your own phone's ESN without stealing or defrauding cellular phone service, then the intent of the law has been satisfied, and no harm no foul, right?

I know it sounds like I'm rambling, but stay with me, here's what I'm getting at. Verizon (and I'm sure Sprint) has unfair, INFLATED charges on us high end PPC Phone users for data charges, right? And the SAME DATA services can be accessed by other phones for a fraction of the cost, because the company doesn't think they'll use the service as much as a ppc phone user may, so instead of paying $40 a month for unlimited broadband data, a Razr can pay $10 or $15 a month. See where I'm heading with this now? If a guy could (hypothetically) use this aformentioned method to change a 6700's ESN to reflect in the network that it is in fact a Razr or other data capable "regular" cell phone, you could subscribe to the much cheaper data plan, instead of being forced to pay the more expensive data plan for PDA's. In Verizon's case, they charge you $40 a month for the unlimited PDA data plan.

Anyway, you geniuses mull this one over and let me know your thoughts. I'm kicking the idea around very seriously, call it an "experiment" if you will. A sacrifice I'm willing to make for my ppcgeeks homeys, if I "do" decide to give it a try and it works as planned, I'll give a report. But I'd like to hear some educated and thought out feedback on the idea first.

~kc

I was a member back when Wideawake was just Awake...